• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

discrimination ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jimgabe

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina I talked to the owner of a store and he told me he was working on something that he thought he could use me.I know someone who works there and he said the owner ask him about me. He said while talking to the owner, the manager of the store said he wanted someone younger.Is this discrimination ?

Last edited:

eerelations

Depends on how old you are. If you're over 40, then yes, this is illegal discrimination. If you're under 40, then while it is discrimination, it's not illegal discrimination.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Depends on how old you are. If you're over 40, then yes, this is illegal discrimination. If you're under 40, then while it is discrimination, it's not illegal discrimination.
No so fast - if this were the reason that the OP was denied employment, then it would be illegal discrimination if the OP is over 40, but the OP is vague.

The MANAGER of the store expressed his preference, but he didn't make the hiring decision. Additionally, we have not second-hand, but third-hand information about this matter. Furthermore, there doesn't even seem to have been any sort of applicant/prospective employer-type relationship between the two parties.

Of course, it could just be that the OP was very vague and didn't state the details about his matter very well.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If you truly believe that the sole reason you were not hired was your age, you are still within the appropriate window to file a complaint.

It does not sound like a slam dunk case to me, but you were there and I was not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">