• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

discrimination of 'criminal' background check as grounds for NON approved Employment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Insanity

discrimination of 'criminal' background check as grounds for NON approved Employment

Just checking to see if its worth looking into, i have been turned down from a job due to my record. I am pretty sure that is illegal.. how ever your the professionals so that is why I'm asking... what action can be taken??

Proserpina

Just checking to see if its worth looking into, i have been turned down from a job due to my record. I am pretty sure that is illegal.. how ever your the professionals so that is why I'm asking... what action can be taken??
First we need to know your location and the nature of your conviction. Both matter a great deal.

quincy

Thank you for starting your own thread, Insanity. What is the name of your state?

When you were turned down for a job due to your record, were questions about your criminal background asked before you were offered a job or were questions about your criminal background asked after there was an offer of employment extended to you?

Was the job you were turned down for related in any way to the crime you committed earlier (example: were you convicted of theft and applying for a job as a bank teller)?

Insanity

Thanks

I live in juneau Wisconsin. I have no convictions.. all criminal ones that could be are dismissed .. they did a background check and then told me that because I have a conviction on my record they will not move forward with the hiring ...

CdwJava

Okay, so they did not hire you because they believed there was a conviction. Understand that the report they receive may not be a complete one, so their report may not have a record of any expungement or dismissal after the fact.

They may also deny employment for other reasons so even if you fight THAT part of it, you may still be denied employment. Or, if they acquiesced, you may find your initial performance reviews unsatisfactory and be let go before any probationary period had expired.

Did you try to present them with proof that your conviction(s) was(were) dismissed?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
What are the charges that were "dismissed" and what was the method of dismissal?

What was the job you applied for?

Yes, it matters.

Insanity

sure did

They no longer care.. im looking to take legal action in a form of a lawsuit against them for this. I have a recorded phone call in my phone of the lady denying me of the position based on a "conviction" she also went on to say this one may not still be a saved recording .. but she goes on to say after I told her I have no convictions "Oh so your saying what we saw on your background check, none of those where convictions?! If thats the case then we will be fine, just the convictions we are worried about.

Ill check my record to see if that one is still saved

Insanity

the job and charges

The job is life guard at a local YMCA, well the only one I have is dismissed charges by deferred adjudication , the charge is possessing with intent to deliver , J class felony. Other then that just traffic violations plague my record. Im 27 now with no convictions, clean record other then like I said traffic violations and dissmisals

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The appropriate venue to pursue this is to file a complaint with the state, not a lawsuit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">