• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Discrimination and Retaliation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

driftwood

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CO

Hey Folks, hope all is well. Looking for an assessment of my situation.
Have worked for a dept in a university for the past 14 years, and am the only minority of a group of about 20 people.

Recently, I was taken in a meeting with my supervisors and given a list of things job expectations and told that if I did not comply with them, I would not longer have a job. In looking at the list I thought it was absurd list of arbitrary things but was not given the opportunity to speak being told that "if you argue against any of these items you will no longer have a job."

Some Items on the list:

1.) Complaining about one supervisor to another

For whatever reason, I am the only employee that has two supervisors, one tells me what to do and the other judges me on how I do it. Anyways, I complained to one that the other made some derogatory/discriminatory comments against women. I did not appreciate the comments that for example "women are workhorses, so lets give them all this kind of work, and men can't focus so lets have them do x type of work." I complained about other issues as well, regarding being micro-managed and being told two different conflicting things by the supervisors that alot of times went against each other -

So in this case, do I have cause say to file for retaliation?

2.) Alot of the items on list are what everyone else does For example: checking facebook, or making personal phone calls. While I don't think this is unreasonable, how come all the other "white" (sorry to use that word like that) can do that. How come everyone else checks facebook and makes personal phonecalls (including the supervisor) but I can get fired for that?

Everytime there is a work dispute, I am always the one that gets taken aside and reprimanded, never my white counterpart, specifically one that is always favored (witnesses to testify) and my supervisor consistently talks about how he is going to take her position when she retires... The disputes are always related to work and the counterpart always takes precedence even though I am the expert in that field. So when I disagree and show how we can accomplish tasks etc I get in trouble. In short I feel like there is a different set of rules for me than anyone else here in the work place.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Let me ask you a question, and this is a serious question.

Do you know (and I do not mean assume - I mean KNOW) that you are the only one who was given this talking to? And if so, HOW do you know?

driftwood

Let me ask you a question, and this is a serious question.

Do you know (and I do not mean assume - I mean KNOW) that you are the only one who was given this talking to? And if so, HOW do you know?
yea, that's a good point. I talked to my co-workers about about some of the items and they said they never got told. I guess sups can always come back and say that i applies to everyone. On top of that, there's never been talk of anyone else being told they can't check facebook or this or that.

So in that sense, I don't know for a fact.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
That's not the kind of conversation employers generally make public, and it's the kind of conversation that some employees will deny having had, even if they did.

I'm going somewhere specific with this. Was HR involved in this conversation? My suggestion on what to do next will be different depending on what the answer is.

LdiJ

yea, that's a good point. I talked to my co-workers about about some of the items and they said they never got told. I guess sups can always come back and say that i applies to everyone. On top of that, there's never been talk of anyone else being told they can't check facebook or this or that.

So in that sense, I don't know for a fact.
I suggest that you follow that list to a tee, while you are quietly looking for another job. I would also suggest that if you get conflicting orders from the two supervisors, that you email them a joint email, asking for clarification, rather than putting it as a "complaint".

driftwood

That's not the kind of conversation employers generally make public, and it's the kind of conversation that some employees will deny having had, even if they did.

I'm going somewhere specific with this. Was HR involved in this conversation? My suggestion on what to do next will be different depending on what the answer is.
My understanding is that they went to HR and were told (what HR told me before and after the incident as I went to HR and complained as well) to put a list together of what they expected of me. I think that HR did see the list before it was presented to me.

In the actual conversation ? NO.

driftwood

I suggest that you follow that list to a tee, while you are quietly looking for another job. I would also suggest that if you get conflicting orders from the two supervisors, that you email them a joint email, asking for clarification, rather than putting it as a "complaint".
Ok, even though that list is arbitrary in parts and totally false in others? There is no possible way that the list could be a retaliation or discriminatory? Also, if supervisor makes a list of things like that, on the flip side, don't they need proof to? How can they just out of the blue accuse an employee of anything without providing evidence
?

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Ok, even though that list is arbitrary in parts and totally false in others? There is no possible way that the list could be a retaliation or discriminatory?
How can it be totally false? It is a list of acceptable behavior, it's not a set of accusations.

driftwood

Based on what you posted, I disagree.

But, no matter, simply don't do those things.
Agreed. But it's ok for other people to make personal phone calls, and check facebook etc?
Because everyone does it and does it openly because there is no written policy agains it.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Agreed. But it's ok for other people to make personal phone calls, and check facebook etc?
Because everyone does it and does it openly because there is no written policy agains it.
It's really none of your business if other people do it. Do YOUR best and let management worry about the others.

driftwood

It's really none of your business if other people do it. Do YOUR best and let management worry about the others.
Zigner, I agree with you. I just got commended by two different departments on outstanding work done having just executed one of the best products out there and yet my boss would site there and criticize me for "just collecting a paycheck."
And I do see your point, it's not about any one else, it's about you. Sometimes that's hard when you feel it is different for you than anyone else.

Eekamouse

Maybe it's time to look for a new job. It does not sound like they like you much there. Better to look for a new job while you are currently employed than to wait until you've been fired.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Now, here is another question for you.

After 14 years, what has happened that you are assuming that the ONLY reason you are being singled out for this treatment (if indeed you are, which has not yet been established) because of your race?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">