• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dissabled Veteran-Discrmination or Harrasment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JWor

What is the name of your state? Mississippi

history: i am a disabled veteran, rated at 30% i've had a total reconstruction of one knee and suffer from degenerative joint disease of the knee. i wear a prescribed brace, to help reduce pain increase stability.

i work for a major beer distributor in my local area. i do alot of lifting, long periods of standing and walking. which is bothersome but tollerable. i have a noticeable "limp".

for about the past year, the company's senior operations manager, for this distributor has been making comments about my limp/brace etc. in a joking manner, drawing attention to my problem by imitating an exagerated "limp" or the way i walk. he does this in front of my co-workers and peers. he has done this in major chain stores that we service in front of the recieving managers, thier coworkers customers and other vendors. he has also be-littled, and humilliated me in front of my wife at our last christmas party because of my condition.

he did ask me one time "seriously" why do you wear a brace? and i explained to him why. that i have a service conected disability. he seemed to lay off for a while, but has recently started back to the same above actions, trying to make "fun" of my condition in front of others. sad behavior for a man in his position. he of all people should know better.

his actions truly do bother me and make me feel inferior. i work just as hard as anyone there, if not harder. and alot of times in pain. but i do what i have to do.

i think i know the answer to this but, should i be subject to his ridicule, and harrasing statements? what should i do?
thanks for you time.
JWor

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Of course you shouldn't. Whether his conduct reaches the point of illegality, however, is questionable.

Have you talked to anyone in HR or in upper management about this?

J

JWor

We do not have a HR department. And other than the Owners of the company, he "is" the senior manager.

K

KYSassy

Would this not be a hostile work environment?

It seems that he is going out of his way to exploit your disability. It is a shame that a senior manager would even consider doing this type of thing. I suppose those who have no valuable life must make themselves feel superior at the expense of those such as yourself.

Sounds like he is a "bully" that just never grew up.

I sure hope that there is some legal recourse for your situation.

J

JWor

Thank's Sassy,

For your kind words.

He definatley is the type of person who likes to be the center of attention. Untouchable, better than you type. I really don't want to stir up any trouble, but I just get tired of the way he tries to be-little me. And yes he does go out of his way to draw attention to the situation. Addressing me as "Gimp" or "Crip" (not my given name, lol). It just get's old.

And yes, a person in his position should know better. The owners of the company, and upper management are a pretty tight nit group. Other than a few close co-workers, I havent really voiced my concerns about his behavior to many people in the supervisory structure. But they are aware it's going on, and I can tell that a few of them are uncomfortable about his behavior, and see that it is wrong.

I'm just a bit leary of saying any thing, Mississippi has an Employment at Will law. Which basicly means they can release you without cause with no reprocussions. If I understand that right. And I like so many others, have a family to support.

But I shouldn't be the focus of his entertainment or amusment eather. I dunno, at least I feel a bit better just getting it off of my chest.

K

KYSassy

Well, whatever you decide to do, know that there are decent employers to work for....somewhere. I would encourage you to at least check into your options. Managers, like the one you described, are what has caused this country's corporate demise.

Between those who thirst for power and those who are just plain inept...there are decent managers who have enough respect for themselves that they wouldn't stoop to his behavior.

Good Luck and God Bless!

Beth3

As cbg commented, whether this manager's conduct reaches the point of illegality is debatable, although with the additional information you've provided since, I'm going to come down on the side of yes, it does violate the law. It appears you have a disabilty which would fall under the ADA therefore the harassment and teasing you are being subjected to is unlawful.

You mentioned that some individuals in the supervisory structure appear to be uncomfortable with what this manager is doing (good, they should be) and while it is incumbent upon management to put a stop to prohibited harassment if they're aware of it even if no complaint is made, since you've not said anything, they may be incorrectly assuming it doesn't bother you. (Not that that excuses their lack of action.)

You need to speak with the appropriate person in management (your boss? the VP of Operations? HR?) and tell them that this harassment has been going on for a long time now and it needs to stop immediately and that you are tired of being ridiculed both privately and in front of others by this Operations Manager. Be pleasant, be professional, be firm and let's hope that takes care of it.

And I can't help but saying shame on that manager for behaving this way. It's unconscionable. But there are some real jerks out there who are just school-yard bullies who got older and it appears he's one of them. Pardon my language but what an a** this guy is.

Good luck and if you need more advice or input, please post back.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">