• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

do I have any rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jenny2u

What is the name of your state? New York
I work in the retail industry as an assistant store manager. I have been in retail for the better part of 32 years,, I am 49 years old and overweight. My district manager has made comments to me such as "maybe the store is too fasted paced for me" he has never asked that question of a male employee, I have used the open door policy twice. the first time to try to get help for my manager who was over his head with the store and needed help. this was his first store a general manager and he was failing for months before I reached out for help.. HE was offered a severece package and not given any help. I was repermanaded for waiting so long to reach out. At that point my district manager started to make my live a living hell. the retaliation was unbareable. He sent another manager to the store and told him that I would try to get rid of him so he should get rid of me first. the new manager came to the store and was left to run a muk in the store . he believed he could do whatever he wanted to. he took money from the store, didn't follow policy on anything from operations to merchandising and this was left to go on for months. I than reached out to the HR dept for help. This manager was let go with a sevence package as well. The store has been operating with no general manager for close to 2 months. I have been expected to do my job as well as the job of another asst, and the general manager.. the store was running well and this angered the district manager who this past week has done everything short killing me to make it almost imposible for the store to run at all let alone run well. today I talked to HR again and was told take a transfer and travel more than an hour from my home, (I live 5 min away now) or take a severence package... is there any recouse for me? I was also told that this is a huge corp. so if I tried to sue I would get no where because of there vast legal dept.....isn't that a threat?

S

Sinsaint26

The problems seem to be based on personal problems. This is not illegal. Your age and gender would only be an issue if you were being treated this way because of your age and gender and there is no indication that these are the problems. You being slightly overweight does not seem to be the problem either (and only one state that I know of protects overweight employees and yours is not one of them). I do sympathize with the unfair treatment but I think your best bet is to get a new job.

J

jenny2u

it's not over till the fat lady sings

thanks for the reply and in the end you are probably right. I was offered a transfer out of the district and I have accepted it. it is a chance for a new start. I will have have an hours drive but they are compensating me for the travel so I will see how it goes. I am gratified that the company as a whole is giving me a chance away from this bully and I am sure that they will be watching him very closely for futher acts of intimidation. once again thanks and if you would like I will write you in a month or so and tell you how it turns out....

S

Sinsaint26

Please feel free to let us know how it turns out. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">