• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

do I have a case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

U

unfairreview

What is the name of your state? Alabama

If an employee who I got hired is in the SAME position as me, who has the SAME position title as me, who has LESS education than me gets a higher increase in salary 2 years in a row, could it be discrimination? Normally, employees aren't supposed to discuss their salaries, but one of the bosses posted our reviews to the company intranet. Yes, I'm sure he's unaware of this because he's a moron. Since I have public access to this information, could I have a case for discrimination? Also, we both got superior review scores, the same as a matter of fact, so they can't say that she does better work than me.
I called a meeting with my bosses after my low increase and they said that corporate instructed them to give a minimum of 5% this year. Funny how I got that same amount last year too. I went from 10, 8, 7, 8, percent increases over the past years to 5% both last year and this year. The particular employee I'm talking about got 8% both of those years. Since they lied to me about everyone getting 5% and taking into account the story above, could this be a case?

Beth3

Nope. Not unless the reason you're being paid less and/or he's being paid more is BECAUSE of a protected characteristic - race, gender, religion, national origin, age (if over 40), pregnancy and so forth.

There are no laws which remotely dictate you have to be paid more because you have more seniority, more education, etc. If you don't care for the terms of your employment, you always have the option to seek a new job elsewhere.

U

unfairreview

Oh, I'm definitely leaving the job soon. Another thing I'm wondering about, these low reviews started after I got married and moved an hour away. When I had that first review after moving, my boss said, "We know that you'll be leaving us soon, etc." Even though I hadn't told him that I'd be looking for a new job, I guess he assumed I would since the drive would be so long. A year later, I'm still here. But I'm sure there'd be no way to prove that the reason for my low reviews was because they thought I was leaving the company, even though I didn't say that.
Regardless, the boss will be reported to corporate for publishing private information, including SSN, etc. to the company wide net!!! Not to mention, the company we're doing the contract for also has access to this private information. I'll get my revenge one way or another.

Beth3

Even if the low reviews are a result of you moving further away and their subsequent assumption that you'll be leaving the company, that's still not illegal.

You know, it's possible the other individual has received higher raises simply because they are more pleased with his performance than yours. There doesn't have to be some nefarious scheme going on behind the scenes. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

U

unfairreview

I don't think that's it because our reviews were almost exact on the wording and the rating. Plus, if she's such a better worker than me, why did they put me in charge of the project we're both working on? Plus, just about every employee in this company has reported this particular employee for timecard fraud. She never works a full 8 hour day, but puts it down anyway, she also takes off all the time and puts down that she worked. Funny thing is, the boss won't do anything about it. Even the big boss of the company was made aware of her timecard fraud, but still nothing was done. I'm wondering if she's got something on them. I would say she's "doing" them, but she doesn't have the looks for that. So I don't know what the reason is. I guess all I can do is voice my opinion when I leave.
Funny how you can become a millionaire for suing after spilling hot coffee on yourself or you can become a billionaire because someone said something that "offended" you, yet when facts are facts, nothing is done. You just have to sit back and take it. What a wonderful justice system we have.

Beth3

Then ya got me as to the reason for the higher pay raises and even why she's still working there if she's been reported for time card fraud. But none of that is illegal.

When you're getting a raw deal from your employer, you always have the option of finding a better deal elsewhere and resigning. That's how you get "justice." Fairness cannot be legislated.

HomeGuru

unfairreview said:
Oh, I'm definitely leaving the job soon. Another thing I'm wondering about, these low reviews started after I got married and moved an hour away. When I had that first review after moving, my boss said, "We know that you'll be leaving us soon, etc." Even though I hadn't told him that I'd be looking for a new job, I guess he assumed I would since the drive would be so long. A year later, I'm still here. But I'm sure there'd be no way to prove that the reason for my low reviews was because they thought I was leaving the company, even though I didn't say that.
Regardless, the boss will be reported to corporate for publishing private information, including SSN, etc. to the company wide net!!! Not to mention, the company we're doing the contract for also has access to this private information. I'll get my revenge one way or another.

Just wondering . . .

Did this other person perhaps get hired in at a much lower rate than you? And is now being given "larger raises" than you to bring her pay up to par with others in her classification/title?

I worked at a company previously that believed in "equal pay for equal work" and this did not hinge on education, previous experience, etc. If a person had the title of XXXX, XXXX at Pay Grade XX, then there was a range of salaries covering that pay grade. Then there was a rating of all the people in that same pay grade, how much money they were making. The Corporate decision to give X% (average) raises any year could be DEVIATED FROM, when bringing up the pay of someone who was grossly underpaid in comparison to others in the same pay grade.

Make sense?

U

unfairreview

bs

No, we started at the same exact salary, penny for penny.

StacyLB

I'll go out on a limb and say perhaps your attitude has something to do with your dismal raise.
There are plenty of well-educated relatively good workers who have awful attitudes. You must be one of them.

Just a guess...

U

unfairreview

bite me

That's where you're wrong.....I'm a perfect "angel" at work, that's why this ticks me off so much. The only time I become bitter is when someone forces me to be that way.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: bite me

unfairreview said:
That's where you're wrong.....I'm a perfect "angel" at work, that's why this ticks me off so much. The only time I become bitter is when someone forces me to be that way.

My response:

. . . and, in what way or manner have we forced you "to be that way"?

IAAL

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Don_Trump

My guess is that the reason someone with less education than the PIG is making more $$ is that they are more P R O D U C T I V E. If this is the case then there is definitely no case of discrimination taking place. Employers are permitted to pay people who are more P R O D U C T I V E and perform at a higher level more money.

Since the PIG is thinking they act like she acts like an 'angel' at work, my guess is that she thinks people buy her act, but in reality the bosses see right through the act.

Bottomline - Do a better job, get paid more $$. Stop your whining and squealing about someone making more. Face the music your company is compensating people based on merit - this is legal.

Taking revenge would be real dumb but seeing how your entire post is based on stupidity I'd bet you'll do something ignorant.

Good Luck.

DT

HomeGuru

Re: Re: bite me

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

. . . and, in what way or manner have we forced you "to be that way"?

You sure are a pig.

IAAL

**A: I resent that. That comment is a disgrace to all porcines including warthogs.

signed,

Porky

U

unfairreview

biteme

The employee making more is certainly not more productive because I am the LEAD on the project she's on. I KNOW what she does because I am the one who keeps track of it! Bottom line is, the managers are morons, one of them even posted NUMEROUS employees' PRIVATE information to a PUBLIC website, including SSNs, etc. The employees who whine are the ones who get special treatment. Like I said, I don't whine, I try to act happy even though I'm not. Here's a good example...we work on contracts for customers. One of our company employees cussed a customer out. That customer went to his boss and demanded that our employee be kicked off the project. Now you would think that the boss of our company would've fired our employee because he made an ass of himself and the company by cussing the customer out. But wanna know what he did? He sent our employee home to work and the guy ended up getting paid MORE to work from home!! Now who wouldn't love that? Rather than getting reprimanded, he gets sent home to work (which is what he wanted in the first place) AND gets paid more. Around here, the squeaky wheel always gets greased. So maybe I do need to whine and make an ass of myself and do something ignorant. I'd probably get better treatment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">