• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

do i have a chance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

amie01

What is the name of your state? KY

I worked for this employer as a temporary for 22 months from day 1 my immediate supervisor has sexually harassed me and several of my coworkers as well as cursed us and threatened us with the fact that he was in charge and he could easily fire us. It was brought to the attention of his supervisor (both counts) more than once, and the response that we received was "oh that is just how he is." I have since been hired as a permanent employee and have continued to endure the treatment from my supervisor. He recently said something very disturbing using alot of profanity to me. I have submitted my complaint to the site operations manager as chain of command requires. Several other female employees have told me that they have considered doing the same however, they are temporary employees therefore in fear of losing their job. They have also stated that if asked they will come forward and tell their story. do i have a chance at winning my case and can they retaliate against me for filing a complaint

Beth3

I don't know if you have a chance of winning your case as you haven't describe the type of sexual harassment you've been subjected to. (Nor do you have a "case" yet to win - you've made an internal complaint only.) And of course we don't know how credible the parties involved are, whether any co-workers will substantiate your allegations, etc.

What I CAN tell you is that your employer retalliating against you for bringing a complaint of prohibited discrimination (sexual harassment), whether internally or externally to a gov't agency, is strictly prohibited by law. Even IF your employer determines no SH took place, it is still unlawful for you to suffer any retalliation.

If the SH continues after your employer investiates or you experience any retalliation, you should contact your State's equal rights division or the federal EEOC immediately.

B

BeckyW

Hello! Practical notes

1. There is strength in numbers. What is the possibility that you can get your co-workers to commit something in writing that you can take with you to the EEOC?

2. Have you been documenting events? If not, take some time to do so and recreate events from the past as best you can. It's a very good idea NOT to tell others that you're taking/making notes, despite the temptation to do this.

3. There may be some statutory time limitations involved, since this has been ongoing for some time. I think an immediate phone call or an e-mail to your state HRC is in order to clarify what the rules are regarding time limits for filing a complaint for the SH and subsequent retaliation.

Becky

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">