• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have to give my employer this info...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Plinda

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I had surgery on my knee about 4 months ago and was given a release to return to work full duty. Which I have done with no issues. I have since developed a problem with the opposite knee. I have sought medical attention for this. There is nothing wrong with the knee except the start of osteoarthritis. My employer asked that I get a note from my doctor stating that I am able to work without restrictions. I have doing my job fully and without restriction since my return post surgery. He states that my limping has caused concern. Do I have to supply my employer with this information since the issue is degenerative and not injury related?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I had surgery on my knee about 4 months ago and was given a release to return to work full duty. Which I have done with no issues. I have since developed a problem with the opposite knee. I have sought medical attention for this. There is nothing wrong with the knee except the start of osteoarthritis. My employer asked that I get a note from my doctor stating that I am able to work without restrictions. I have doing my job fully and without restriction since my return post surgery. He states that my limping has caused concern. Do I have to supply my employer with this information since the issue is degenerative and not injury related?

If asked, I highly suggest that you do.
Further employment may depend on it.
good luck.
..___________________
~
Life is pleasant.
Death is peaceful.
It's the transition that's troublesome.~ Isaac Asimov

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Does the law require that you do so? No.

Does your employer have to continue to schedule you if he has liability concerns that you refuse to address? Also no.

You could be cutting yourself off from protections that you would otherwise be legally entitled to, if you do not. When asked to do so, it is always wisest to provide an employer with at least enough medical information for him to know which of the multitude of applicable laws are and are not in play. It is to your benefit that you do so.

HC1432

If your limping is obvious and apparent to your employer, they may want to see medical verification of any possible restrictions that you may have to determine if they need to consider the impact on your essential duties. This is completely legal. You also have a legal right to reasonable accommodations if you have a legitimate disability/medical condition that limits your physical work abilities. Its even possible that there have already been instances in which your knee issue has resulted in some limitations in the work place related to your job duties that have been witnessed by a manager, co-worker, etc and you do not even realize this was noticed.

Don't assume that this request from your employer will have a negative result. If you do not comply with their request, you will likely create more concerns for management. As already stated, this is most likely an attempt on their part to ensure that they are making the necessary accommodations in the workplace to reduce any liability for injuries (work comp), lost production, etc. An employer that has specific procedures and requirements for making these determinations is doing well to reduce their liability and ensure that their operational or financial impact is limited - this is a good practice for them and for you as the employee.

HC1432

My employer asked that I get a note from my doctor stating that I am able to work without restrictions.
After re-reading the original post, I am somewhat concerned by the above statement. I don't think it is a good practice on management's side to make the request in this form - if this is indeed how it was stated. The employer should be asking for a work ability status, or in other words, information about any physical limitations that exist that could impact the work. They should not be asking the employee to get a note saying they can "work without restrictions" - if he/she has restrictions, management should be aware and they must be accommodated within reason. With that said, it is the medical provider's responsibility to accurately document the medical status regardless of management's request (although my typical experience in reviewing employee medical info is that outside of very serious conditions, the Doctor will typically write whatever the employee wants them to write)

Plinda

It was never my intention to not comply with their request because I obviously need my job. I was concerned because I have never been asked for a medical release for a condition that is merely stiffness in my joint. Their request has made me very self conscious and uncomfortable. I feel like I am being examined by the way I walk. I get that they have to protect themselves and so do I. :(
The advice has been very helpful.:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">