• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I legally have to speak with an attorney?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nina1979

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I was a victim to work place sexual harassment a few years ago. I never came forward since I was just a contractor and the guy was in a position that was pretty high up in a government agency. He left for training for a year. When he came back to the office he started harassing a woman who is a government employee. She filed charges, but the agency dismissed the allegations. I decided to come forward since nobody believed her. I wasn't interested in suing. I had to speak to attorneys from EEO and IA. She reached a settlement with the agency and I heard nothing else.

Today I received an email from an attorney with the Office of Chief Counsel. He wants to speak with me about the allegations against the individual. I am so tired. Having to relieve it a year ago was hard on me. Shortly after I came forward I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease. I truly believe that the stress had caused this. I am currently in remission from the disease and I am also pregnant. I cannot handle the stress of this again. Do I really HAVE to speak to this person?

W

Willlyjo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I was a victim to work place sexual harassment a few years ago. I never came forward since I was just a contractor and the guy was in a position that was pretty high up in a government agency. He left for training for a year. When he came back to the office he started harassing a woman who is a government employee. She filed charges, but the agency dismissed the allegations. I decided to come forward since nobody believed her. I wasn't interested in suing. I had to speak to attorneys from EEO and IA. She reached a settlement with the agency and I heard nothing else.

Today I received an email from an attorney with the Office of Chief Counsel. He wants to speak with me about the allegations against the individual. I am so tired. Having to relieve it a year ago was hard on me. Shortly after I came forward I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease. I truly believe that the stress had caused this. I am currently in remission from the disease and I am also pregnant. I cannot handle the stress of this again. Do I really HAVE to speak to this person?
Absolutely not! Unless it involves ongoing litigation and you are subpeona'd (sp) into court or a deposition.

swalsh411

It appears the other woman received compensation and you don't wish to pursue that. (probably too late now anyway). I wouldn't give the matter another second of your time except to tell this attorney that you will not be speaking with him.

Beth3

As the others have said, you are under no legal obligation to speak with this attorney or anyone else about your prior SH experience. You can ignore the email or reply and inform the sender you just aren't interested in revisiting this topic.

Betty

Agree with the other responders. No, you do not need to speak to this attorney or anyone else about this issue. (unless you are subpoenaed to court) You need to take care of your health.

ESteele

The other responders are correct that absent the issuance of a subpoena you do not have a per se legal obligation to speak with anyone concerning how this government management official harassed you. However, you will probably want to consult with the HR representative for your employer, the contractor, in an effort to protect your interests here.

Government contractors generally seek to cooperate with federal government official in order to, inter alia, burnish their “report cards” with the contracting officers and improve their chances of obtaining contract or task order extensions and/or additional contracts.

Presumably, you work as an “at-will” employee for the government contractor. Consequently, if the contractor directs you to cooperate with government counsel, then you may not have a practical choice. Accordingly, you may want to run this situation by the contractor’s HR Dept. in order to enlist an ally in the Dept. to support you here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">