• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Doctors Note

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

consernicus

My company allots 2 15 minute breaks and a 30 minute lunch throughout the day and we are required to strictly adhere to our schedule. I have to use the restroom at times other than what they allow and I have been required to provide a doctors note for the condition. The doctors note states: "Patient will require frequent trips to the restroom for the next year due to medical problem.". The HR department has responded to me stating that they need more details about the medical condition. Do they have a right to ask for this information or is this
covered by HIPAA?

justalayman

they have the right to ask for exactly why you need to use the restroom so much. HIPAA would not be involved because you would have to release the info to the employer for them to recieve it, therefore, no HIPAA violation.

ecmst12

HIPAA has nothing to do with what information can be REQUESTED from a doctor. It only deals with what the doctor can release without your permission. In this case, you would be requesting the information from your doctor to give to your job, and releasing medical information to YOU upon your request is not only legal, it's required in most cases. Or, you'd sign a release, and they could give the information directly to your job.

You are requesting accomodations for a temporary disability, which may also fall under "intermittent FMLA". And for that, your employer is allowed to request "medical certification" of your condition which requires the accomodations. They're not asking to see your records, only a less vague explanation from your doctor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">