• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does this constitute a hostile work environment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

esanders

What is the name of your state? ga. i work for a private ambulance service. my partner, whom is africian american, made a false statement to my supervisor claiming that i made a racial slur against him. i really don't know how to protect myself now. i feel that his statement(s) have damaged my character and really don't know what to do. they investigated the complaint and gave me a shift off. Nothing came of the investigation, so I remain working with him which is difficult to say the least. they refuse to seperate us and a supervisor advised me that " you both just need to get to know each other." what can i do? i can't afford to quit this job. i was absolutely shocked that this complaint was lodged. i am a very diversified individual.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, that does not constitute a hostile environment. From your post, I assume that this was a one-off situation rather than a host of complaints. For a hostile working environment, there needs to be a "pattern of behavior". A single instance, confirmed or unconfirmed, is not enough.

It would be a stretch for you in any case, since you are the one who was reported to have made the statement (I understand it was false - I'm not accusing you). I'm not saying that if he was constantly accusing you of false racial statements that you couldn't make a case eventually, but in the circumstances you've described it isn't going to fly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">