• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does this qualify as discrimination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Baker92374

I have been working for a company that is under contract by USG(United States Gypsum). I am a "Trans-Loader" for Southern California Railroad Inc. I have been employed by the company for 6 months now. The problem is that My Co-worker and I are facing discrimination(African-Americans). We were told that we would have full-time work and a raise to follow. We haven't received any of those things and when we complained about it, our hours were cut. To make a long story short, when we were told that the company had no work for two weeks including today; We found out that there was work and a the rest of the employees were there. Our Manager is Latino along with the rest of the crew. They were working while my co-worker and I were told there was no work. Is this discrimination; and if it is' who should I get into contact with?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It's definitely discrimination. However, it's unclear whether it is ILLEGAL discrimination.

If you were not called back to work because you are African American, that's illegal discrimination.

However, if you were not called back to work because the employer was annoyed at your complaining, that's legal discrimination.

Sockeye

Often these types of jobs often are very cyclical in operations and lay-off and call back is frequent. To simplify who works or not they commonly use seniority as a guideline.

Don't know if this is the case in this circumstance but do note that OP has only been there 6 months.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">