• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dress code

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

evenstrangerone

What is the name of your state? Hawaii

I work for a state institution (the University), that is thinking of implementing a dress code. I am a union employee (faculty) currently working within a contract that does not mention attire anywhere. Can the University or any individual department in it develop its own dress code and enforce it upon me?

HomeGuru

evenstrangerone said:
What is the name of your state? Hawaii

I work for a state institution (the University), that is thinking of implementing a dress code. I am a union employee (faculty) currently working within a contract that does not mention attire anywhere. Can the University or any individual department in it develop its own dress code and enforce it upon me?
**A: yes.

HomeGuru

Take a look at the other union workers that have dress codes ie. nurses, airline, hotel workers and others in the travel industry, police officers etc.

E

evenstrangerone

Yes, but doesn't it specify in their contract that there is a dress code? My contract does not.

E

evenstrangerone

This proposed dress code is not for the whole University, nor even this campus. I'm a librarian with a faculty contract, and our library department is trying to draft one, mostly aimed at our 80+ student employees. However, if we make student employees dress a certain way, then it would be fairly hypocritical if library staff did not. I'm no slob, but I don't want to be told how to dress.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Does your contract say that you CAN'T be held to a dress code? If not, then I would guess that you're out of luck.

E

evenstrangerone

No. There's just no mention of one. It's also in the process of being re-negotiated right now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">