• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driving me Crazy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bellstar

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I wonder if I have any rights as an employee in PA? I feel harrassed and have suffered from anxiety attacks due to this situation on the job. Also, my supervisor revealed she has kept track of and put in my personnel file simple things I have said...such as, I did not like having to work late. She read these things from my file as evidence of my bad attitude. I merely said I did not like this. I didn't refuse to do it, but it's there in my personnel file. It seems crazy. Also, months ago a male at my company scared me by throwing signs, yelling and kicking the signs after he had thrown them, that I complained and reported, in writing he frightened me. My supervisor is pals with this man. Now, months later she uses this incident in which I was the victim as more evidence that I "Have problems with my co-workers".

At the time, she was verbally supportive and it was a "Fred problem, not a Susan problem." She said she would protect me from these men in these situations but now months later acts like it is me, not him. It really frightens me, to know that every thing I say can and will be held against me. A simple comment, a simple report to my supervisor that I was frightened by a man.

Now I have been *written up* because I told a women who has no identified power that she could talk to me respectfully. Another pal situation. I apparently am the problem because I stand up for myself.

I have seen them do this to people before. They start in and keep writing them up over and over, until the person is fired. Recently they did this to a man who got his job back, but in another department. My question is, whta if in response to their bad treatment of me, I request a transfer to another department. Can they fire me because I do that?

It's all pretty stupid, I know . I have worked at this place for about a year and I am 55 years old. I just want to work until I can retire. I don't want trouble and I am scared that I won't be able to find another job. Age discrimination is alive and well in the USA.

Sorry this message is so long. I feel pretty alone and scared. I needed to share. I don't know if you can help. Thanks.

Beth3

As far as I can tell, this male coworker had a temper tantrum at work and you happened to be a bystander when this occurred, right? While I'm sure that was unpleasant, it wasn't illegal.

Your supervisor may document whatever she feels appropriate regarding your job performance, behavior and attitude to put in your file. Without knowing all that's going on in your workplace and knowing all the circumstances, it's impossible to say who's right and who's wrong in this situation. Could be management is looking at the situation from the wrong perspective or it's possible their opinions are correct and you are being overly sensitive and no interacting properly with your co-workers. Of perhaps it's some of both.

Nothing in your post suggests you have been targeted because of your age or gender. I can't tell you whether they would fire you for requesting a transfer, only that it's not very likely an employer would do that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">