• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Drop in pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

deslock

What is the name of your state? Texas

As a bus driver for my employer, I get paid 4 1/2 hours per day, but I only actually work 1 1/2 hours. Last year, my boss was aware that I was looking for full time employment so she offered me a job working with special ed bus routes in the afternoons, for which I would be paid 8 hours per day. This year, I am only getting paid 7 hours per day. The first 2 months I did not say anything because the special ed route was not busy, but now I have over 4 hours per day just in special ed. I asked for an extra hour, to bring me up to full time pay, and was told that she could not justify paying me 8 hours when I only work 6. That was the arrangement last year, but for some reason this year it changed. It seems to me the same justification as paying me 4 1/2 hours when I only work 1 1/2. I realize that I have been getting paid 8 hours but not working the full 8 hours, but I understood this to be a salaried position. In essense, I feel like I took an unauthorized pay cut. Is this legal for my employer to do? Thank you in advance for your advice.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There is no way that a bus driver can be anything but a non-exempt position. Therefore, your employer is under no obligation whatsoever to pay you for anything more than the hours you actually worked.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">