• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dropping a harassment claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Chimer

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

Can my employer decide not to file a harassment claim they originally stated they would because the "rumor" is now known by everyone?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It's generally the employee, not the employer, who files a harassment complaint. But an entity can choose to change their minds about taking an action for any reason they want to. There is no law that limits what reasons they are allowed to use in making the decision to file or not to file.

Do you want to provide us with context for your question? Which frankly makes no sense as it stands?

Chimer

A co-worker with a history of starting rumors began telling all my co-workers that I was dating another employee, which was true and allowed, but we hadn't wanted to tell anyone at work so as to avoid any problems. She also went to my manager to accuse that the relationship was causing problems at work in an attempt to get me in trouble. I took the matter to our GM and was told they considered it harassment would be doing a write up. They haven't done anything and supposedly told my manager that since everyone in the workplace now knows of the relationship they will not write up that the complaint was made.

eerelations

So it sounds like they re-considered the harassment thing and decided it wasn't harassment and therefore they're not going to bother with it. Whatever, though, you don't seem to be in any trouble. Regarding the coworker who made a complaint, it's up to your employer whether or not she gets into trouble. Nothing you can do about it either way.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, your employer is allowed to do that.

In any case it is not your decision how, or even if, she gets disciplined.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">