• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Educational Discrimination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LivinOitOup

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

I attend Graduate School in North Carolina. I (and several other students in my program) need a specific course, MATH 6000, to graduate. However, due to a time conflict with another required course, we are unable to take MATH 6000 in Spring 2017 and must stay an extra semester.

The program director received this complaint from several foreign exchange students. Since he promised them that they would be offered MATH 6000, he is offering all foreign students an independent study. I (being born in America) submitted the same complaint, and was denied and told I would have to attend another semester.

Is it discrimination to offer a course section to only foreign students? There are several other American citizens that were denied access to this course as well.

FlyingRon

Not being on an F-1 visa doesn't put you in a protected class. He's free to extend the class to the visa students only.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Make an appointment with your college's dean and/or the ombudsman.

Your goal is to graduate on time. It is possible that what is being done is in violation of your institution's policies, especially if you all entered the program the same semester and have taken the same courses up to now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">