• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

EEOC Investigation over.. now what.. / Does corp inform store of lawsuit?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sanddollarsoul

Last October I was terminated from a large retailor.
I filed a case with the EEOC. After about four months, I contacted my investigator who informed me the investigation did not show any wrong doing by the employer since I had write-ups that led to my termination and to contact my lawyer since he said he would forward the case results to my lawyer. I contacted my lawyer a few weeks later, and he told me he didn't get the information, but will request it and get back to me and let me know.
That was three months ago and I haven't heard anything. I never signed a right-to-sue notice.
Would I have any other options besides suing them?

Also, I am rehirable and have been calling the store and inquiring about positions. Every time I've called their are never any openings, but I know for a fact they have hired new people.
My lawyer said I can also get them for not rehiring me.

I'm curious if the personal department would know I filed a EEOC complaint or if the complaint would just be of knowledge to corporate and the store manager and person who discriminated against me?
The reason I want to get back in is because there is a new location opening in Jan, and I figure being rehired where I worked would help me get a job at the new location since I would be currently employed with the company.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It can sometimes take a very long time, and yes I am talking months, to get your right to sue letter. Which you generally get no matter what the result of the investigation. Sort of like a consolation prize.

For any other options, you should be asking your lawyer. He knows the details of your case. We do not.

commentator

Were you approved for unemployment last october? sometimes thats a fair indicator of whether there is a good possibility of an eeoc issue, though the two agencies are not related.

sanddollarsoul

Yes.. I have received unemployment? What does that mean for the EEOC case or rehire?

And would the store level know of my case or just the corporate..
Now im curious why their not hiring me back since I am rehirable.
I will also contact lawyer,, but asking her for quicker result

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Who knows of the claim is going to be employer specific. There's no way for us to know how their corporate structure operates with regards to claims.

Just because you're considered eligible for rehire, doesn't mean they're obligated to rehire you. I don't know of many companies who will rehire someone who has already taken legal action against them unless they are required to do so by a court or as part of a settlement.

The fact that you received unemployment, quite honestly, means nothing with regards to your EEOC claim. Or rehire.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">