• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

EEOC Mediation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

KYSassy

What is the name of your state? Kentucky

I am scheduled to attend an EEOC mediation session on 6/11.

I have done a lot of soul searching and have decided to ask for $4200. This amount will cover back pay, time, trouble, and expenses of having to deal with this situation. I am aware of the fact that the cap for a business the size of my employer is $50,000; however, I am not a greedy gold digger. I know that if we do not reach an agreement of some kind, my employer will then be investigated.

My question is this: Should I initially request a sum that is higher than my bottom line?

I am not familiar with the way settlements work, and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

H

hexeliebe

I recently concluded a settlement agreement with my girlfriend's family similar to what you are speaking about and I can give you my thoughts. Remember, these are my experiences only so take from them what you want.

For 20 years my girlfriend held 1/16th interest in 12 properties that had been part of a trust. The appraised value of all the properties at the time of the settlement agreement was $2.5 million (her part of the property)

Because the group (relatives) had been keeping books, leasing the lands and property, developing some of the property and otherwise doing business, our bargaining tool was that, if they did not come to the table with a reasonable offer, we would petition the court to find the group a legal partnership and thereby causing all 'partners' to have equal rights under the law.

The group did not want this because then my girlfriend would have the right to freeze all partnership assets until the settlement was reached, to sue the partnership and individual partners and to dissociate from the partnership thereby indemnifying her from any illegality but not the other partners.

All this was spelled out as her options during the negotiations and then we asked for $5 million.

After seeing that we were not going to back down, the group offered $3.5million upon the signing of a waiver on all partnership assets and any future claim agains the partnership....

And that's exactly what we wanted.

So yes, you should ask for $5,000 but let the other side know that you'd be happy to see this go away because you're tired of dealing with it, but not so tired that you will just take what they offer without some compensation for your aggrivation.

My rule in negotiations is: If I'm asking, ask for twice what I want; If I'm receiving counter-offer 1/2 what the other party wants.

S

Sinsaint26

This isn't legal advise so take it for what it's worth. Always ask for more than you actually want. It gives you more working room. Your employer thinks he got a good deal when he works you down and you actually get what you wanted. Works for everyone.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">