• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

EEOC regulations and process

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

ragsy

What is the name of your state? New Jersey
I work for the state of newjersey in data processing.
I finally am going to take my disability harassment to EEOC. WHat can I expect from them as far as their processing my complaint. I was told that it would take at least 6 months until they actually begin to look at my complaint, is that true? Also I understand that during those 6 months prior to my case comming up, My management cannot harass me or threaten me in any was regarding my disability? I also have a grievance against management because they seem to want me to quit hoping I would finally not being to stand it anymore. Is this also part of EEOC jurisdiction?
What should I bring when I go initially?

Thank you Don Rago

S

Sinsaint26

I am going to assume you mean you are being discriminated against due to your disability. You will need to file a complaint with the EEOC and have it dually filed with the state agency in charge of investigating claims, if your state has one. They will send you a question sheet which you will fill out and send back. It does take some time before your claim gets assigned to an investigator, but it shouldn't take more than two months. Then they will contact you and get a statement as to your specific complaint. They may send you a revised copy of your statement which you should look over, make any corrections if necessary and send back in. Then your company will be notified of the complaint and given 30 days to respond. After the EEOC receives their statement, the EEOC will call you, relay what the statement is and a decision will be made (depending on if you agree with their statement or not) whether to have a Fact Finding Conference.

At the conference you and your employer will sit with the investigator and go over the facts of the case. He/she will ask both of you questions to try to determine if there is discrimination. The investigator will also work with both of you to reach a fair compromise. It may take a few more weeks after the conference for the investigator to come to a conclusion. At no time can your employer take any action against you because of your complaint. This would be called retaliation and it is illegal.

If you are certain you want to do this it would be to your benefit to get an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">