• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

emergency medical leave for family member

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Paula M Abel

state is washington I work for the dept of transportation marine division. I recently received a call that one of my nieces was in icu at a childrens hospital in portland. I called work to be covered to go see her. They told me that i could not go because they would have to pay overtime, and that she was not considered a contractual relative. Is she covered in anyway by the state or federal family leave act?:confused:

enjay

She would not be covered under the federal Family Medical Leave Act. The act covers immediate family and parents. The act also provides up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave to CARE for a covered relative, not merely to visit one.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Enjay is correct. The circumstances you describe would not be covered under either Federal or state leave laws. Federal law covers your parents and your children only; Washington does not have a state law covering medical leave.

Your employer broke no laws. If you are working under an employment contract (possible if you are a government employee) check to see if your situation is covered under contract. If not, you're out of luck.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">