• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Emotional Distress

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

daisypeach

What is the name of your state? Washington

Ok I work for a small company and my sister used to work here - she quit and decided to open up her own business - she did not have a non-compete so it is completely legal
However now both the owners are harrassing me daily about my sister - forcing me to come into their office and tell them all about her company and making up lies about my sister and putting me in the middle of this situation. I told them both that I don't want to be put in the middle and I will tell them the truth about everything - but there is no need to make up lies in order to get me to talk. - well this has been going on for over 1 month - and I'm so scared i'm going to lose my job over this situation and I've been so uneasy at work - I cant sleep at night and i've been really depressed about this situation - because i just want everyone to be happy and - now my boss is threatning my sister to take her to court and that he dosn't care if he never sees a penny of the money - as long as she suffers. I don't want to have to get a different job - but i feel as though i'm going to be forced to quit because of the situation or they are going to fire me...
Is there any legal thing I can do about this situation - to keep them from involving me in the situation?

S

Sinsaint26

Unfortunately, if your employer terminates you because of your relationship there is nothing illegal in it and there is nothing you can do legally about this situation. You can explain to your employer that you are loyal to them and would not divulge company information to anyone, including Sis. But you have a duty to your sister as well and do not feel comfortable giving out information about her business. Make sure you convey to them that you wish to stay neutral in the matter. You should reconsider how much info you are giving out. If you easily give up information to your employer about your sister's business they may believe that you do the same with her. On a personal level, I think you should consider looking for a new job.

Beth3

What you are experiencing is the down-side of working at the same place as a family member, which always has the potential of back-firing.

I agree with Sinsaint - I think you should reconsider what you are telling your employer as they may be assuming that since you are spilling your guts to them, you are doing the same with your sister. I suggest you tell them, "Gentlemen, this is a business issue between you and 'Mary.' It does not involve me in any way. Do whatever you feel you need to do. But I have nothing to do with my sister's business and she does not confide in me about her business developments, nor do I confide in her about what's going on here."

I also think you should start looking for another job as from what you describe, it seems likely that the situation at work is going to remain uncomfortable, even if they stop interrogating you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">