• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

employee responsibilities for shortages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

funiface

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin
I work at a small (less than 10 employees) privately-owned tavern in southeastern Wisconsin. Recently, my employer notified (in writing) all bartenders that their paychecks will be docked for any shortages found in their tills. This is no problem. The problem I have is that I am not allowed to count my till at the beginning of my shift and tills are shared with AT LEAST one other person. How can I be held legally responsible for shortages that I have no control over? Any information would be appreciated. Thank you.

Beth3

Wisconsin law absolutely prohibits employers from holding employees responsible for losses like these. Docking an employee's paycheck without their express written authorization is prohibited, and docking an employee's paycheck for the cost of "quality defects" and related issues is prohibited as well.

Everything your employer is proposing is prohibited by Wisconsin law. Call the Department of Workforce Development in Madison: 1-608-266-6860

Their web site is: www.dwd.state.wi.us

F

funiface

shortages

Thank you!

Your advice was so very helpful. While in contact with the Labor Board we also discussed other problems my employer will now be forced to address.

Your time and thoughtfulness is greatly appreciated.

Z

zappy

The employers only recourse is to FIRE you for any shortages, wether or not you are guilty.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">