• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer called Doctor and told them not to write me a note

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dckrsn6

I was wondering if in Illinois it is legal for my employer to call my doctors office and ask them to not write me a note for absence.

I had given my 2 weeks notice, during those 2 weeks I had a horrible migraine so I called in to work one day. Asked to use my sick time but was denied because the boss was upset that I was quitting. Was told the only way I could use it was with a note from my doctor because I "was seen going through a drive thru on the day I called in". I called my doctor who knows I have am issue with migraines and he agreed to write me a note that didn't say I was seen that day because I wasn't but wrote a note that I have migraines and to excuse my absence due to it. Between the time I called to get the note and went to actually pick it up, my employer called and asked them to not give me a note. I'm guessing so she didn't have to pay me for my 8 hours of sick time she owed me. Is there anything I can do about this? Please let me know.

Thank you,

Denice (Illinois)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I was wondering if in Illinois it is legal for my employer to call my doctors office and ask them to not write me a note for absence.

I had given my 2 weeks notice, during those 2 weeks I had a horrible migraine so I called in to work one day. Asked to use my sick time but was denied because the boss was upset that I was quitting. Was told the only way I could use it was with a note from my doctor because I "was seen going through a drive thru on the day I called in". I called my doctor who knows I have am issue with migraines and he agreed to write me a note that didn't say I was seen that day because I wasn't but wrote a note that I have migraines and to excuse my absence due to it. Between the time I called to get the note and went to actually pick it up, my employer called and asked them to not give me a note. I'm guessing so she didn't have to pay me for my 8 hours of sick time she owed me. Is there anything I can do about this? Please let me know.

Thank you,

Denice (Illinois)
Did you get the note?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
How do you know your employer called?

Did you get the note?

Do you understand that unless FMLA is involved, a doctor's note means zip?

eerelations

How do you know your employer called?

Did you get the note?
S
Do you understand that unless FMLA is involved, a doctor's note means zip?
Really, how do you know your employer called your doctor?

In addition, having a doctor's note doesn't mean your employer is legally required to pay you for your sick time off. Your employer is legally free to pay or not pay you for your sick time whether or not you have a doctor's note.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">