• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer gave out personal information

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jrini

What is the name of your state? Florida

We had two employees at our company (a construction business) whom were roommates. There was a major falling out between the two of them, turns out the one who owned the home (we'll call him A) had a video feed on the roomies bed (we'll call him B). Because of the ackwardness of the situation, when B asked to transfer my superiors agreed that was best.

During this time A has been talking a lot about how B is allegedly a drug addict, owes him a lot of money, has stolen from him, stolen his son's identity, and is about to get a car reposessed that A co-signed on. Now that B has transferred and is staying in a company house that is provided for employees from out of town, A has demanded the address supposedly to foward mail and direct creditors. I told A that I would not give out that information because it was private and he wasn't entitled to it, my supervisor felt differantly and gave the adress to A anyways. He believes the allegations given by A and thinks that entitles him to B's address. Whether the allegations are true or not I just can't see how it's ethically acceptable (or legal for that matter) to give out an employees address to another employee.

I feel like this is so wrong and I've said so. Is the information that was given out protected, were any laws broken? Is the address considered "public knowledge" since the property is rented and provided by our company, and therefore allows us to give it out? If anyone can give specificly what rights of B's have been violated (if any have) I'd appreciate it. I suspect that A may use the information given to him to harrass B. That being said, I believe B has a right to know if his rights have been violated and if he can do anything about it.

FWIW, I'm not worried over losing my job over this. I've already put in my notice because of questionable practices that I've seen in the past. To me, this just seems to cross the line.What is the name of your state?

Beth3

Whether the allegations are true or not I just can't see how it's ethically acceptable (or legal for that matter) to give out an employees address to another employee. I think it was inappropriate to give that information out but there is nothing at all illegal about it.

Is the information that was given out protected, were any laws broken? No and no.

Is the address considered "public knowledge" since the property is rented and provided by our company, and therefore allows us to give it out? That doesn't matter because the information is not protected.

If anyone can give specificly what rights of B's have been violated (if any have) I'd appreciate it. None.

I suspect that A may use the information given to him to harrass B. That being said, I believe B has a right to know if his rights have been violated and if he can do anything about it. If A harasses B then B should inform the employer (who can decide if they wish to intervene or take any disciplinary action against A) and B should also file a complaint with the police. B may also wish to consult with an attorney to determine if he has a cause of action for slander against A.

Given A's behavior, particularly the video feed of B's bed when they roomed together, I'd say A is one strange dude and B is wise to steer clear.

jrini

It's frustrating that this is allowed. This is mainly why I am leaving. Not so much this particular situation, but it seems that there are always things going on here that are unethical and inappropriate, but not really against the rules as far as the law is concerned. Thank you for answering my questions though.

Given A's behavior, particularly the video feed of B's bed when they roomed together, I'd say A is one strange dude and B is wise to steer clear.
I agree with this 100% and it blows my mind that everyone I work with seems to think A's actions were ok :confused: He was really creepy when I wouldn't give him the address; he started moving personal items (a framed photo of my son and I, my chapstick, specifically things that belonged to me and not office type stuff) around my desk and asked if it bothered me and if I felt like he was "invading my personal space", he seemed to hope I did. Definately a creepy dude.

For what it's worth, B has filed a police report but since the feed wasn't on when they searched, just hooked up, and there was nothing actually video taped they couldn't do anything.

Beth3

I agree with this 100% and it blows my mind that everyone I work with seems to think A's actions were ok Perhaps they're just so creeped-out by A they don't want to take sides or get involved.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">