• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer Misconduct

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sfelt

What is the name of your state? Michigan
On a Saturday just before I left work, my employer raved about how much help I was to her, how much she trusted and cared about me, ect.

On Sunday night, I was at a local pub playing schuffle board with her son. She entered the pub screaming, approched me by grabbing at my chest and then squeezing and shaking my arm as she shouted, "Don't do this to me, don't you dare do this to me!" As she left the pub, she turned around, pointed at me and said, "You're fired!"

I later found out that an ex-boyfriend of mine had called her.

Is there any legal action I can take in this situation?

Beth3

You can file a police complaint for assault but beyond that, no. Assuming you were an employee "at will," you can be fired for any reason except a specifically prohibted reason and this isn't remotely one of those.

I also am curious as to what the ex-boyfriend told her to get her so totally whigged out (unless she is a crazy person and you just didn't know it until now.) Did he tell the boss something that made her crazed that you were associating with her son?

You might have a cause of action against him, depending what he said.

S

sfelt

enjay & Beth3

Thank you for your response. All I can really do is assume because I haven't talked to either of them. A co-worker of mine did tell me that the ex-boyfriend called her to try and "save" her son from me.

I also contacted the police and they said that the assult ticket wouldn't mean much since I didn't have a black eye or wasn't hospitalized.

This can't even be possibly harrasment on my employers part?

It's odd that a lady can sue because she spilled coffee on herself but I would have to simply endure this humiliation.

Beth3

You're talking about two entirely different areas of the law - personal injury and employment. It's apples and kumquats.

Sorry but a one-time outburst from the boss doesn't remotely constitute harassment of any kind. You can always get even with her by "corrupting" her son the way she presumably now fears. :D

Actually, all you can do is put this behind you and move on. Good luck.

S

sfelt

Thank you Beth3 for your advise and time, it is truly appreciated .

By chance, is there anything I can do to the ex-boyfriend if I don't know exactly what he said?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Probably not. If you are able to find out what he said AND if it is factually untrue, then you may have a case against him. Talk to a local attorney.

S

sfelt

Thank you chg,

I have an appointment on Tuesday. I just needed some kind of idea of where to start. Again, thank you t everyone who replied. If you think of anything else, please don't hesitate to let me now.

Shelley

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">