• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer Violent Tyrants

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kristineepenesa

Employer Tyrant Behavior

In what way is your employer a violent tyrant, kristineepenesa?
I work for a small business. My immediate supervisor is the owner of the company and her son is the President and her daughter inlaw is the Office Manager. I have worked for this company for 5 years. 4 years ago I approached the President (son) after learning with the world that a highly known NFL player had died tragically which is a family member of mine, please reframe from speaker calling another employee with tasteless, inappropriate jokes for the rest of us to be subjected to. We have a open floorplan at work were we all sit next to each other . Only the managers have closed doors. Every since then our work relationship has been non existent. Ive even been approached by other employees as to how they wish they could stand up to him. If he needs anything from me he goes to the owner (mom) or office manager (wife) to relay questions. He has even put notes on my desk with WTF in Red marker across the form he wants me to explain. Hes a office bully. In any case I have adapted that this is how our profession relationship will operate. I have a wonderful great relationship with my immediate superiser (mom).

On friday I was dismissed from my shift early by him indirectly loosing hours. Friday are my normal days off I was hired 5 days a week however about 10 months ago he told his mom to put me to 4 days a week because he feels accounting is not a full time position. I am the only accounts payable person in a multi million dollor company doing collections and deposits on over 400 companies. Anyways last week it was approved by my supervisor to work on friday to make up for monday being a holiday since we no longer get paid holidays due to california mandating sick time. holidays were strip from us.

Well it wasn't until after he and his wife came back from lunch he went into his office closed the door and speaker called his mom violently screaming and pounding on things in his office asking why the F am I still here and get me the F out of the office . She was yelling back please dont talk to me like that and crying.. it was very disturbing but not unusual. after he slammed the phone down I received a email from the owner saying Sorry He wants me to leave. I was shaken to my core from the screaming and pounding and humiliated as I knew I was not the only one who witnessed another tyrant from him. I went into my supervisors office and gave her the rest of my work and she could not even look at me as she was visable upset and crying and just apologizing for his behavior once again. I went back to my desk and typed an email to him and cc the owner and the office manager subject reading Im leaving. I typed "I feel very offended by the things you say through your door were everyone in the office can hear. If you want me to go home for the day, please just ask me to leave. I feel so much anxiety and distress right now from the anger I hear from you. I know that things are slow around this office for othrts I just want you to know I was legitimately doing work that I am responsible for and not wasting any company time. Now I don't know what to expect when I go into the office on monday I fear of what Ill have to endure and have been filled with anxiety all weekend to think about how this is going to effect me on monday. I do not even remember my ride home from the office. It was a blank the ride home. What do I do

Just Blue

I work for a small business. My immediate supervisor is the owner of the company and her son is the President and her daughter inlaw is the Office Manager. I have worked for this company for 5 years. 4 years ago I approached the President (son) after learning with the world that a highly known NFL player had died tragically which is a family member of mine, please reframe from speaker calling another employee with tasteless, inappropriate jokes for the rest of us to be subjected to. We have a open floorplan at work were we all sit next to each other . Only the managers have closed doors. Every since then our work relationship has been non existent. Ive even been approached by other employees as to how they wish they could stand up to him. If he needs anything from me he goes to the owner (mom) or office manager (wife) to relay questions. He has even put notes on my desk with WTF in Red marker across the form he wants me to explain. Hes a office bully. In any case I have adapted that this is how our profession relationship will operate. I have a wonderful great relationship with my immediate superiser (mom).

On friday I was dismissed from my shift early by him indirectly loosing hours. Friday are my normal days off I was hired 5 days a week however about 10 months ago he told his mom to put me to 4 days a week because he feels accounting is not a full time position. I am the only accounts payable person in a multi million dollor company doing collections and deposits on over 400 companies. Anyways last week it was approved by my supervisor to work on friday to make up for monday being a holiday since we no longer get paid holidays due to california mandating sick time. holidays were strip from us.

Well it wasn't until after he and his wife came back from lunch he went into his office closed the door and speaker called his mom violently screaming and pounding on things in his office asking why the F am I still here and get me the F out of the office . She was yelling back please dont talk to me like that and crying.. it was very disturbing but not unusual. after he slammed the phone down I received a email from the owner saying Sorry He wants me to leave. I was shaken to my core from the screaming and pounding and humiliated as I knew I was not the only one who witnessed another tyrant from him. I went into my supervisors office and gave her the rest of my work and she could not even look at me as she was visable upset and crying and just apologizing for his behavior once again. I went back to my desk and typed an email to him and cc the owner and the office manager subject reading Im leaving. I typed "I feel very offended by the things you say through your door were everyone in the office can hear. If you want me to go home for the day, please just ask me to leave. I feel so much anxiety and distress right now from the anger I hear from you. I know that things are slow around this office for othrts I just want you to know I was legitimately doing work that I am responsible for and not wasting any company time. Now I don't know what to expect when I go into the office on monday I fear of what Ill have to endure and have been filled with anxiety all weekend to think about how this is going to effect me on monday. I do not even remember my ride home from the office. It was a blank the ride home. What do I do
What you do? Find a new job.

eerelations

Unfortunately, none of this behaviour is illegal, which means you have no legal recourse in this matter except to quit your job. Please understand though that if you do quit, your chances of being eligible for UI benefits are extremely low - again because your employer's behaviour is not illegal.

Your employer's behaviour would only be illegal if it was based specifically and directly on a protected characteristic of yours, such as your race, gender, religion, age and/or disability. Nothing in your post indicates that your employer is treating you this way because of one or more of these characteristics.

In addition, your employer's violence would only be illegal if it was committed against your physical person. Committing violence against inanimate objects that belong to him is not illegal.

kristineepenesa

Unfortunately, none of this behaviour is illegal, which means you have no legal recourse in this matter except to quit your job. Please understand though that if you do quit, your chances of being eligible for UI benefits are extremely low - again because your employer's behaviour is not illegal.

Your employer's behaviour would only be illegal if it was based specifically and directly on a protected characteristic of yours, such as your race, gender, religion, age and/or disability. Nothing in your post indicates that your employer is treating you this way because of one or more of these characteristics.

In addition, your employer's violence would only be illegal if it was committed against your physical person. Committing violence against inanimate objects that belong to him is not illegal.
What happens if I go into work on monday and i am terminated? I am an at will employee. I am currently looking for other employment however I do have a family to provide for.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
What happens if I go into work on monday and i am terminated? I am an at will employee. I am currently looking for other employment however I do have a family to provide for.
If you go to work on Monday and you are terminated, you file for unemployment.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Legal on what grounds?
As you said, you are an at-will employee. That means you can be terminated for any reason not expressly prohibited by law.

What law do you believe exists that would prohibit your termination in this instance?

kristineepenesa

Legal on the grounds that it's not illegal.
Its horrible that a person in his position can behave like that. He is a tyrant. I have witness so much inappropriate tyrants of his telling young warehouse employees that if they know on his door one more time hes going to bang their head in the door he scares these young employees and we need our jobs, he even scares his own mother whos the owner. its not right. Im right out side his office door so I have to listen to this stuff. banging so hard on the window in his office so hard one day the window is going to shatter shakes me to my core because its so startling at the time he does it. Having to hear him call Obama a niger and lets go Trump... this is all not right...

eerelations

Legal on what grounds?
As cbg explained. Because you are an at-will employee, you may be legally fired for pretty much any reason, except the reasons I listed in my first post in this thread. Being fired because your employer can't stand having you around falls into the category of "pretty much any reason".

I understand that you don't like this information one bit, however, it's all factually accurate.

eerelations

Its horrible that a person in his position can behave like that. He is a tyrant. I have witness so much inappropriate tyrants of his telling young warehouse employees that if they know on his door one more time hes going to bang their head in the door he scares these young employees and we need our jobs, he even scares his own mother whos the owner. its not right. Im right out side his office door so I have to listen to this stuff. banging so hard on the window in his office so hard one day the window is going to shatter shakes me to my core because its so startling at the time he does it. Having to hear him call Obama a niger and lets go Trump... this is all not right...
It may not be right, but (as we've told you numerous times) it's perfectly legal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">