• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employers Daughter is CRAZY! What can I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I am an 22 year insurance industry professional. I have been with my current employer for a little over two years. Last summer the office owner hired his daughter to be a part time receptionist. It has been insane ever since day one. She causes nothing but drama and caos when she is at the office (she averages 11 hours per week). She has had and continues to have issues with one person or another. Trying to record conversations in the work place, making comments to stay away from her when you are walking past her. don't touch/hit when you walk past her desk; routing calls wrong, just unreal and unprofessional office behavior. We have all at one point or another brought this to her Fathers (our agency owner) and he has told us he will get things under control. It just doesn't stop. I am being pulled into a meeting with the both of them sometime today so that he can try to get to the bottom of what our issue is. Ok, here is the thing, I make a point not to leave my office when she is here; I do not engage with her on a personal level only business. I say good morning; please and thank you...I do not have any sort of problem.

Do I have any rights? Does the owner have the right to pull me into a meeting with his daughter when he can't even control her? I am having an anxiety attack just thinking about it. She has also continuously harassed our office manager who has been with this company for 18 years.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I am an 22 year insurance industry professional. I have been with my current employer for a little over two years. Last summer the office owner hired his daughter to be a part time receptionist. It has been insane ever since day one. She causes nothing but drama and caos when she is at the office (she averages 11 hours per week). She has had and continues to have issues with one person or another. Trying to record conversations in the work place, making comments to stay away from her when you are walking past her. don't touch/hit when you walk past her desk; routing calls wrong, just unreal and unprofessional office behavior. We have all at one point or another brought this to her Fathers (our agency owner) and he has told us he will get things under control. It just doesn't stop. I am being pulled into a meeting with the both of them sometime today so that he can try to get to the bottom of what our issue is. Ok, here is the thing, I make a point not to leave my office when she is here; I do not engage with her on a personal level only business. I say good morning; please and thank you...I do not have any sort of problem.

Do I have any rights? Does the owner have the right to pull me into a meeting with his daughter when he can't even control her? I am having an anxiety attack just thinking about it. She has also continuously harassed our office manager who has been with this company for 18 years.
You may wish to seek out other employment.

You may wish to seek out other employment.

Awww, that is awful because I really love my job. Don't I have any rights? I am not sure if this matters or not but we have been having issues with team members calling out a lot...why; because the daughter does it, comes and goes as she pleases, they feel if she can do it so can they and they do. He can't fire them.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Awww, that is awful because I really love my job. Don't I have any rights? I am not sure if this matters or not but we have been having issues with team members calling out a lot...why; because the daughter does it, comes and goes as she pleases, they feel if she can do it so can they and they do. He can't fire them.
The boss wants his kid to work there. You have every right to speak to the boss, as well as having every right to look for a new job if you don't like the situation.

henbob6

You're learning a lot earlier* than most people that employees have very few rights, unfortunately. (ETA - or at least not all the rights that we think we do!)In 49 of the 50 states, you can be terminated for pretty much any reason - failing to wear royal blue when the Cubs win the series, eating oranges in the break room, etc. You can also be fired for failing to sign a written warning.

My advice - stay calm. Behave professionally during your meeting today. Do not quit or sign a letter of resignation, if it comes to that.

If you are fired, there are several posters very knowledgeable about unemployment who can answer any questions you may have.

*Ayup, I misread the post too, and thought the poster was 22. My bad.

Last edited:

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
I hear you, but that just doesn't seem right. Recording conversations; accusing co workers of physical abuse....
"Right" has very little to do with "legal", oftentimes.

Seriously - you are free to leave, you are free to not leave ... regardless, there's no legal case here.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You have lots of rights, but they do not include forcing the boss to deal with his daughter or making her behave the way you want her to. Even if he should.

LdiJ

I hear you, but that just doesn't seem right. Recording conversations; accusing co workers of physical abuse....
Of course its not morally right, but what is morally right has little to do with legalities when it comes to employment law.

In all reality, despite the fact that the boss wants his daughter to work there, its highly unlikely that he wants to lose his productive employees either. The fact that his daughter only works there 11 hours a week tends to indicate that its more of a token job than anything else.

Just be honest with your boss in the most polite terms possible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">