• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employment Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

aaronardo1

What is the name of your state? Mo.
Recently I was called in to my supervisors office and given a verbal warning for not attending company meetings as often as I should. While being given this warning I was asked to shut the door to the room.My boss then started asking if I had a mental condition and what medications I was on.I answered these questions truthfully as I felt obliged to for my jobs sake.I was asked if I was seeing a counselor and if I had ever attempted suicide.Again,I answered these questions as I felt I needed to.Supervisor then told me he had considered suicide and what medications he was on.After his counseling I was told that the info I gave him with the exception of medical would go to personel to be placed in my file. I felt violated when I left his office and felt stupid because I gave him all that personal info that he asked for. I was so upset I quit my job 4 hours later after 9 years of service. Was this a violation of any law that an employer ask me these questions? By my answering those questions make me just as responsible?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I wouldn't even want to guess about the legality/illegality of the issue without hearing the other side of the story. If this was totally out of the blue for no legitimate reason then it was at the very least ill-advised and possibly illegal. However, if there was something in your behavior that caused your employer to feel that there were safety issues involved then it would not be illegal. You would not necessarily know if your employer was seeing something in your behavior that caused him to think you were a danger to yourself or others. (He wouldn't even have to be correct if there was something that led him to legitimately think so.) Why do YOU think he asked these questions?

You can always ask the EEOC for an opinion.

A

aaronardo1

I was asked these questions because of the fact I was not participating in group activities ei. (Company meetings.)Also, I had told him that my working nights was affecting my family life and my ability to go to day meetings.He even asked me if I thought I was an alcoholic and I have not drank in around a year.( I'm not sure what brought that up other than him saying he was and he went to meetings.) Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">