• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

enequal pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

westwing

What is the name of your state?
Mass.

I work in a piecework or flatrate shop and have seen different compensation for same job depending on who the employee was. This is aside from the per hr. rate given to all employees. Favoritism is prevelant and can be documented. Can I make a claim and to what end ?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Nothing in the law says that compensation must be exactly equal. It cannot be different because of gender under the Equal Pay Act; it cannot be different because of other Title VII protected groups. But it can be different because of seniority, experience, education, differing market rates at time of hire, differing contracts, differing negotiations between employee and employer, and a host of other reasons INCLUDING favoritism, as long as the favoritism is not based on gender, race, age etc. The fact that the compensation is different does not, in itself, give you the basis of a lawsuit of any kind.

W

westwing

unequal pay

Well, no contracts exist, I have seniority, more experience, more education, only diff is willingness to suck up to the boss. One job I am thinking of paid 10.0 hrs. vs. 5.8 hrs.
But I thank you for your replies.

rmcnellis

cbg - in a situation like this where the poster is employed in a "flat rate" manner shouldn't the flat rate be the same for all employees doing the same job? unless maybe i am intrepting the post incorrectly, it sounds as if one employee is being paid more for the same exact job as another. flat rate shops usually abide by a "labor time guide" that states exactly how many hours or tenths of an hour the job takes and that is what the employee is paid. if "bob" replaces a starter on a 1998 chevy truck and the LTG states it pays .8 he gets paid .8, but "chuck" replaces a starter on a 1998 chevy truck that is exactly the same as the one "bob" worked on, but he only gets paid .5 - well, that's not right and i know the technicians where i work would go screaming to the department of labor were that to happen here. am i way off? thanks.

Beth3

What an employer SHOULD do and what they HAVE to do are two different things. It is perfectly legal to pay "Bob" $20/hr to assemble widgets and "Joe" $10/hr to assemble widgets, even if Joe is a better performer, has more seniority, is more productive, etc. There are no laws that require an employer to set compensation rates on a fair or equitable basis. The employer can pay whatever they like as long as the inequitability isn't based on age, race, gender, etc. as cbg said above.

The DOL would have no jurisdiction in the scenario you describe, rmcnellis.

Paying Bob more because he sucks up to the boss is an excellent way to lose Joe to another employer, but that's it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">