• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Equal Pay Act question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PJ82

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

I work for a municipality in VA. I was promoted 6 years ago. My new pay grade was significantly higher than the grade I was at before promotion. The policy at the time was to only allow a one step pay increase no matter how high up the pay scale you go. The result was that I was moved backward along the pay grade. This policy caused enormous pay inequities because people moving along a normal career progression would not be moved backward, so when they catch up to people who essentially skip a grade because of early promotion, they end up making more money, so the Town changed the policy 3 years ago to allow for larger raises for promotions into significantly higher pay grades. The next two men to be promoted into my position were given higher raises then I under the new policy. Factoring in tenure, these two men have been making more money to do the exact same job since 2009. The Town has a history of fixing pay inequities. When I complained, I was told those fixes were based on people being moved differently under the same policy. My isssue was different because I was moved properly under the old policy, and the two men were promoted under a new policy. They agreed that my predicament was unfair, but they would not make the new policy retroactive. My argument is, the flawed policy was changed to account for pay inequities. Under EPA, are they obligated to pay me the same as the men, regardless of which policy was in place at the time?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No. The EPA says that you cannot be paid less BECAUSE you are female. It does not say that all people in the same position have to be paid identically.

Betty

Agree, you can be paid differently (less) but just not because of your sex. (applies to both men & women)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">