• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Equal pay for equal work?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

brookme

What is the name of your state? Ca

Is it legal to give different titles and different pay to different employees that are performing the same job, have the same skill and the same level of responsibility? If so, where can I find proof?

Beth3

Yes, that is perfectly legal provided the underlying reason for the disparity isn't due to an employee's age, race, gender, religion, national origin, handicap, etc. There are no laws that require equal pay for equal work.

Q

quantity7

The Equal Pay Act of 1963

SEC. 206. [Section 6]

(d) (1) No employer having employees subject to any provisions of this section shall discriminate, within any establishment in which such employees are employed, between employees on the basis of sex by paying wages to employees in such establishment at a rate less than the rate at which he pays wages to employees of the opposite sex in such establishment for equal work on jobs the performance of which requires equal skill, effort, and responsibility, and which are performed under similar working
conditions, EXCEPT- where such payment is made pursuant to (i) a seniority system; (ii) a merit system; (iii) a system which measures earnings by quantity or quality of production; or (iv) a differential based on any other factor other than sex: Provided, That an employer who is paying a wage rate differential in violation of this subsection shall not, in order to comply with the provisions of this subsection, reduce the wage rate of any employee.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
All right, perhaps Beth could have chosen her words better, but the fact remains that the Equal Pay Act ONLY requires that pay cannot be based on gender. It does not have anything to do with the poster's question, and Beth's response was still essentially correct.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">