• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Evaluation Slander & Property Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mooser

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

Greetings,

I am a law enforcement officer of 15yrs, as well as an entrepeneur. The businesses that I am invested in are a company that offers firearms and self defense training, as well as I own stock in a armed security guard company. I have never been in trouble at work, or disciplined even verbally for anything.

I recently received a yearly appraisel for my law enforcement job. In the appraisel were negatives Ad Hominum comments of which were based on no facts, were of opinion, and some of the statements were factually wrong.

Example: "For 2002 sick leave use seems to increasing."
When in fact there was a 61% reduction in sick leave use in 2002 as copared to 2001.

Example: "Has established several outside business opportunities that have diminished his initiative within the department"

Example: "It has been brought to my attention that he has been unprofessional with volunteer members of the department, and they refuse to work if he is working".
Again this is a personal attack with no factual basis, as we have a department policy and procedure for complaints and no complaint has been brought to my attention, as policy would dictate my notification.

A friend of mine several weeks ago ran into one of our new administrators, and my friend asked how I had been. The administrator answered "that he is fine, that he is busy with everything but police work".

Also: Administration went into my locked locker and removed department property without asking, or notifiying me. Is this illegal??? Do I have a right to privacy in a work locker???

One more: I received a note from our second in command the day after I got my appraisel. The note stated that I am being reassigned my extra-curricular firearms and defensive tactics training duties so I can focus my time more on patro. And that I am required to turn over all training lesson plans and records that I have, or I will face disciplinary action.

I feel I have a proprietary right to the lesson plans. The lesson plans were created on my own time, not my agency's. The things I teach in my lesson plans, and my instructor certifications are thing I obtained on my own before I worked for this agency, so they have no monetary investment into my knowledge.

Do I have slander, defimation, and do I have rights not to give them the lesson plans?

I spoke to my union, who advised me to sign the evaluation with no response by me to be give, and to turn over all lesson plans on the basis that I taught those lesson plans on duty so the department has a right to them for civil litigation purposes if they ever get sued. My thinking is that they have no right to the lesson plans, and if they get sued that I would be summoned by the courts to testify as to lessons.

Any insight would be helpful, and sorry for the legth.

Mooser

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">