• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ever returned to work after filing an EEOC charge and Short Term Disability?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Has anyone ever returned to work after filing an EEOC charge (due to discrimination, harassment and retaliation) and going on Short Term Disability due to the psychological violence you experienced? If so, I'm curious what your experience was after returning back to work. Thanks.

csi7

Yes. Not comfortable situation for anyone who has the courage to do it. By going back and obtaining the information needed, and keeping calm, assertive, and even-toned voice, it can be successful.

commentator

You'll do this one just exactly like you should do any job. You go in and you give these people x number of hours of your time, in exchange for x amount of money.

You do what you have agreed to do, what they have asked you to do, to the best of your abilities. You do not seek, nor do you expect to receive warm fuzzies from these people, emotional reassurance, or even borderline niceness. It is all about what they need and expect out of employees to make their business a success. They did not go into business so that they could give you a good and fulfilling work experience. They are not required to give you positive feedback, follow their own policies fairly, or even to treat you civilly.

As long as you are not physically assaulted, asked to work in unsafe conditions, or unpaid for hours you have worked, you continue to do your best. Do not take it personally when they try to demand that you do something that is unreasonable or beyond your capabilities.

No one can cause you stress without your consent. Do not allow them to create stress for you. How you do that is to keep yourself apart, do not over involve your emotions in the day to day what is going on with your job. If they wish to fire you because you cannot do what is asked of you, that is their call. Don't let them bully you.

I once worked in a quite stressful job situation, stressful atmosphere deliberately created by upper management which was trying to thin the ranks, with a former P.O.W. He was so calm, so peaceful, such a rock for the rest of us. He said, "I've been where important things were very bad. Frankly, this isn't important, this isn't bad." When the boss yelled, he smiled. Good luck to you.

Thanks for replies, so far ...

Thanks for replies, so far ...

I should add that my employer has promoted someone to take over my responsibilities while I'm out on disability some who I work with have shared with business partners/affiliates that I've quit.

With this information anyone have anything else to add that have commented above? (Or anyone else have any additional comments)

Thanks

Last edited:
Yes. Not comfortable situation for anyone who has the courage to do it. By going back and obtaining the information needed, and keeping calm, assertive, and even-toned voice, it can be successful.
Hi,

If you don't mind me asking, what did you mean when you said, "By going back and obtaining the information needed ..."

What information are you speaking of and did you have an attorney representing you during with your situation?

Appreciate your response.

Thanks

csi7

I did not have an attorney present when I went back into the work place. I did have to remind myself that I was hired for the work I could provide and I continued to provide that work.

I continued working for the company until I was terminated without cause. I was only given ten minutes to clear my desk, folders, and personal items from my work space just before the end of the work day. It was not hard since I had been removing my personal stuff little by little on a daily basis.

You asked about information needed.

I had to get information located on the work computer and print it out with names, dates, places, and other details. I did not send the information to a personal email account like some other people did later on.

I was able to print the information quickly with the computer manager's help. The help: the amount of time I had until the computer was going to be shut down for repairs.

I wish you the best.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">