• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

false accusations of racism

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tamlybean

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I was falsely accused of racism at work yesterday now today there is going to be a meeting with the senior managers at 5pm. I have been a basket case and haven't slept a wink because i cannot believe this is happening while absolutely false. I'm afraid of losing my job, what should i do? I want to take a mini recorder to the meeting with me to further protect myself, is this legal?

Thanks
Tammy

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You DO realize that they can let you go if they feel like it, right? Whether or not they find that you actually did/said what you are alleged to have done/said.

Beth3

I'm afraid of losing my job, what should i do? Go to the meeting, keep your cool, see what they have to say, and if you're asked any questions be honest in your replies. Keep in mind that anytime any employee alleges discrimination occurred (no matter how outlandish or ridiculous the accusation), the employer has to investigate. That means that employers who know an employee who is being accused couldn't possibly have done what they're being accused of still has to be put through a very unpleasant ordeal.

I want to take a mini recorder to the meeting with me to further protect myself, is this legal? In Pennysylvania, only if you have the consent of all parties at the meeting. Even if it were legal, I'd strongly advise you against doing this. (a) Your employer almost certainly will not permit it and might well fire you if they find out after-the-fact you recorded the meeting, and (b) adopting such an aggressively defensive posture is not going to help your situation. I know you're in a nerve wracking situation but you need to calm yourself and see what happens at the meeting.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">