• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

False Employee Complaints

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MichaelFilbert

California

A coworker, call her Coworker 1, has a history of embellishing information in company complaints. However, recently she took it to a whole new level. She filed a complaint against a client stating that he sexually harassed her, another female employee (coworker 2), and another woman (Woman). Coworker 2 stated that the client did sexually harass her. However, the Woman stated that he did not and is willing to sign a report saying so. Furthermore, Coworker 1 has now denied that he sexually harassed her to two separate individuals. The President was made aware of this, but has not done anything, and seems to protect the employee for some odd reason. The President, sent an email to the client telling him to stay away from the office because three separate verified complaints have been made against him. I made the President aware that it was only one person, but he refuses to do anything, jeopardizing my financial relationship with the client.
The employee is now caught in lies, and she is affecting my financial stability in the company. I have to write a complaint to the President but am not sure what to include to make sure she stops with her lies and malicious complaints, and ensure that the President takes proper action to rectify the situation. Please help.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Here's the problem your employer is facing:

Your co-worker has a protected right under the law to file a sexual harassment complaint. Even if it is later shown to be unfounded, without proof positive that she maliciously made the whole thing up, your employer could be sued for taking any adverse action against her. When I say proof, I mean enough proof to stand up in a court of law. And without that proof, your employer would lose a lawsuit.

By having your client stay away from the office, your employer is actually protecting him by keeping him out of the line of fire and ensuring that your co-worker will have no further opportunity to accuse him. It sounds as if he is not entirely convinced of the co-workers veracity, but he still has to take the complaint at face value and, until he can show actual evidence that she is lying, treat it as if she is telling the truth.

swalsh411

How are you even aware of all this? These investigations are supposed to be confidential. It sounds like dropping the client is the better choice as opposed to dealing with a lawsuit from this woman.

eerelations

How are you even aware of all this? These investigations are supposed to be confidential. It sounds like dropping the client is the better choice as opposed to dealing with a lawsuit from this woman.
I think OP is getting information from the client. I think OP is concerned because if this client leaves, OP will lose whatever bonus/commission he's getting from working with this client.

Beth3

I have to write a complaint to the President but am not sure what to include to make sure she stops with her lies and malicious complaints, and ensure that the President takes proper action to rectify the situation.

You don't have to do anything and I strongly suggest you butt out. The President is aware of this employee's complaints and the circumstances. He's dealing with it as he feels appropriate and, as cbg pointed out, this employee has the legal right to make a complaint of SH (no matter how far fetched) and the company could be in legal jeopardy if they appear to retaliate in any way.

You have no means to force this employee to stop making these complaints. If the President is smart, he's already conferred with an employment law attorney behind the scenes, something that neither you nor anyone else is going to be in the loop on. The President will take what he deems to be the proper action at the proper time. In the meantime, I strongly suggest you let the President deal with the situation and not involve yourself.

swalsh411

I highly doubt the President is interested in your "complaint". In fact that is just about the worse thing you can do. You are not even directly involved in this and have no right to know anything about what is going on. The President may choose to drop the client (and fire you for that matter) if he finds out he told you things about the investigation you had no business knowing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">