• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

false statements about racism

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dhrngwd

What is the name of your state? new jersey
a statement was made in writing that racism is rampant and overt in our orginization. how do we address this and what if the statements are false

Beth3

And what is your role in the organization? Are you in a management position? What form does the note alledge the racisim is taking? Racist statements? Racist insignia or graffiti around the facility? Minorities not being hired or promoted or otherwise treated less less favorably?

D

dhrngwd

The orgination is a volunteer fire co. My position is commisioner. The written statement was read at a meeting of all volunteer orginations of the town. It was also read at our business meeting. It was read by another member who has in my opinion misapproiated company funds for his self serving purposes,and is documented. The question is how do we handle this allogation? Should it be persued? If he cannot justify his claim, should we ask for a retraction? At our last business meeting, he was asked to clarify by filing a grievance or retract. His answer was not to retract as he would look like a liar, but he would not take it any further. To have an inquirery and a hearing was not his agenda when pressed. The dept. is dependent on public funds and boro donations to function. It is my opinion he made these statements as a means of gaining sympathy to cover his wrongdoing. What protection does any member have if the matter is not dealt with?

His quote "Sadly within the Dept. racism is rampant. Certain members have taken thier personal prejudices and applied them to thier fellow firefighters. Many a times my family's heritage has been referred to in a derogatory manner by certain department members. We refuse to accept this overt racism any longer."

Last edited:

Beth3

Commissioner, I think you should consult with your city's attorney asap. There are public policy issues involved here, public meeting statutes, allegations of possible serious wrong-doing, municipal regulations, etc.

You need more expert advice than you can obtain on a public bulletin board. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">