• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

family member harassment against nurse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

noaljo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado Can a nurse sue a family member in a nursing home for defamation/slander of their charactor?
What rights do healthcare provider have against a family member who constantly berate their title, their work, accuse them of not doing their job right?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
To whom are these comments being made? What damages has the health care professiona suffered? (HINT - hurt feelings are not damages)

Beth3

And a family member of who? A family member of yours or a family member of a patient? And as cbg asked, to whom are these comments being made and how have you been injured? Have you spoke to management about the situation? If so, what have they said/done?

noaljo

harassment at work place

the family member is related to the person in the home, the comments are made openly in front of other employees, this person also attempts to enlist other employees to make negative comments against other employees and when this does'nt work this person verbally attacks the person

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
the family member is related to the person in the home, the comments are made openly in front of other employees, this person also attempts to enlist other employees to make negative comments against other employees and when this does'nt work this person verbally attacks the person
What DAMAGES has this person suffered? (Hint: Hurt feelings are NOT damages)

(credit to cbg)

csi7

All health care facilities should have a list of people to contact for help with any matter associated with the facility.

In a case of resident complaint, there is a written method to document the behavior for the doctor to review the medication levels, daily activity sheet, and close monitorinig of situation. This provides evidence of support for the resident and also for the staff caring for the resident.

The record should show how long the issue has been happening, pro-active measures taken to relieve the situation, and who is present during the actions. The logs of daily activity record are separate from the menu record, medication record, and incidents records.

Review of this information can be done with an omsbudman, outside representative, and management to ensure that no one person is singled out as the root cause.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Oh brother :rolleyes:

Your information is 100% accurate...and absolutely inapplicable for this situation.

All health care facilities should have a list of people to contact for help with any matter associated with the facility.

In a case of resident complaint, there is a written method to document the behavior for the doctor to review the medication levels, daily activity sheet, and close monitorinig of situation. This provides evidence of support for the resident and also for the staff caring for the resident.

The record should show how long the issue has been happening, pro-active measures taken to relieve the situation, and who is present during the actions. The logs of daily activity record are separate from the menu record, medication record, and incidents records.

Review of this information can be done with an omsbudman, outside representative, and management to ensure that no one person is singled out as the root cause.

Beth3

People are free to express their opinions. It does not sound as though this has crossed the line into slander nor do you indicate you have suffered any compensible damages as a result of the statements. What you need to do is speak with your supervisor/the administrator of the nursing home and discuss the situation. If the family member has a legitimate issue, then it should be addressed with you by management. If not, then the family member should be told by the administrator that if he or she has any concerns about the care being provided, they should be shared with the appropriate member of management and not broadcast to all and sundry.

commentator

I agree 100% with speaking to your administrator or nursing supervisor about this problem. And that if the family member of the patient is unhappy, there are legitimate policies and procedures in place for them to use to complain. Maybe you should read them the info that csi7 gave you. Then walk away.

For the efficiency and morale of the whole operation and for your own peace of mind, you should not be subject to random fielding of complaints and verbal abuse from a resident's family member. This is something that should be dealt with by management. I would not accept any responsibility for problems they bring up or say anything defensive. Tell them to complain as it is set up.

Sometimes people like this are just genuinely upset about the condition of their loved one. (I once yelled at a nursing home staff member when I went in and discovered my family member in extreme need of care. She totally blew me off when I asked for her help.) But some people are "fishing" for a lack of care lawsuit. In any case, it is not your problem, it it the problem of the upper staff and management of the nursing home.

If there is a personality clash or the family member just does not like you personally, you may request to your supervisor that you be assigned other patients and that someone else be the caregiver for this person.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">