• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Feeling threatened at work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PBurton

What is the name of your state? California
A workmate who has a office that connects to mine by a window, threw a box at me striking me, and then came in my office and kicked the box striking me again. I called the police and told them what happened and was told I could make a report and have him arrested. My boss asked me not to do that and assured me that he would handle the matter. The employee was suspended for two days without pay and assigned across the street to our other building and given a position there. I still have to have personal contact with him. I told my boss that I was afraid of him and feared for my safety because i am a woman and he is a large man with a criminal record. He told me that if I was scared I could leave the company at anytime and if I pursued the matter legally there would be consequenses. I want to know what my options are legally. but I do not want to lose my job. Thank you for any help.

seniorjudge

PBurton said:
What is the name of your state? California
A workmate who has a office that connects to mine by a window, threw a box at me striking me, and then came in my office and kicked the box striking me again. I called the police and told them what happened and was told I could make a report and have him arrested. My boss asked me not to do that and assured me that he would handle the matter. The employee was suspended for two days without pay and assigned across the street to our other building and given a position there. I still have to have personal contact with him. I told my boss that I was afraid of him and feared for my safety because i am a woman and he is a large man with a criminal record. He told me that if I was scared I could leave the company at anytime and if I pursued the matter legally there would be consequenses. I want to know what my options are legally. but I do not want to lose my job. Thank you for any help.
What is it that you want your employer to do?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
He is not required to fire the individual, and you do not get to decide what action the boss takes. He's disciplined the individual and taken steps to see that you don't have to work directly alongside him. He is not under any obligation to see that you don't have to ever have contact with him again.

Sounds to me like the boss did a pretty good job of handling it.

PBurton

My boss was fired at the end of the day today, along with the individual who I had the confrontation with, by the C.E.O. I was told by the C.E.O. that it had nothing to do with my complaint. Thanks for the info.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">