• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fired before vacation/discrimination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nique1

i have worked for a company for the last ten years.i missed 12 days of work due to illness and when i called to get my work schedule i was told i was removed from the schedule.i would of been on vacation for two weeks following the week i was planning to return.i had also reguested to use my vacation for the time i was off sick.(which i had a doctor excuse for).i am a single mother with two children.i am white and their father is black. for years i have listened to racial comments from department managers and other employees. i even had a manager ask me if i could get him drugs...why because my boyfriend at the time was black??? i have never said anything because i needed my job and didn't want to risk losing it.i know my manager had no problems regarding how i performed my job. i was one of only 2 people who recieved a christmas bonus. i just want my vacation pay,is there anything i can do??

B

buddy2bear

Being "removed from the schedule" doesn't necessarily mean you were terminated. You should call the company and ask them what it means, do you, or do you not, have a job.

As far as collecting accrued and unused vacation pay, this can depend upon your State's laws, your company's policies, etc. When a person is terminated, they usually do not get their accrued and unused vacation pay, unless their State's wage & hour laws say otherwise. In this case, your company may say that they allowed you to use your vacation pay (if you received it) to cover the 12 days you were sick, with your permission, and therefore they owe you nothing.

Call your employer and establish whether or not you are terminated. If terminated, then call your State's wage & hour division and ask them what you can do, if anything, to collect your unused and accrued vacation pay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">