• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired due to Pregnancy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mmmbla

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

I was working for a small liquor store when I found out I was pregnant. I informed my boss of my condition, as I was already 4 months pregnant when I found out, and I knew I would be limited to some of my abilities. As soon as I told him, he cut my hours from almost 40 a week to 10 a week. A few weeks before I was planning on going on maternity leave, he fired me. My family says I should bring up a case against him, but I don't know what to do. Their excuse was "Your services are no longer needed." It was right before Christmas, and when does a liquor store do the most business then around New Years? I hope spmeone can help me and let me know what to do. Thanks!
Melissa

M

mmmbla

There were only about 6 or 7 employees. It was a privately owned business.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Because of the small size of the store, you are not protected under the Federal discrimination law. However, it is possible that your state may provide greater protection. Contact the New Jersey Division of Civil Rights and see what they say.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">