• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forced Direct Deposit-Please help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Lightningstorm

Hello everyone!

I live in Louisiana and recently, my work has forced Direct Deposit or a debit card (Our Choice) on all its employees. La is one of 4 (I think) states that allow this. I didn't mind going to Direct Deposit but it is upsetting that I dont even get a checkstub to show how much I made,Taxes, deductions etc..... I even have to call the bank to see how much was deposited so I can do the checkbook.

Is this Legal? Do employers have that much control over my money? It is MY MONEY after all. I have already earned it right? Someone please let me know or point me to a place that can answer this for me.

Thanks
Lightningstorm

stephenk

dont you make the same amount each pay period?

Where I work, the employees that use direct deposit still get a stub every pay period showing the breakdown of their pay.

L

Lightningstorm

Thanks for the reply.
No, I make different amounts each pay period. I get paid 2 times a month. On the 7th and the 22nd so one period I may work 11 days and another I may work 13 days. Plus I get paid by the hour, so I may only work 7 hours one day and work 10 hours the next. It really varies.

Lightningstorm

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Unfortunately, I don't see that the state of Louisiana requires that they provide you with a paystub, or any kind of itemized record of deduction. I'm not saying I agree with that policy, but if it's not required by state law, they don't have to provide it.

JETX

I agree with cbg.

And though there doesn't appear to be a requirement that they provide a paystub, you are certainly able to request one from your employer..... each payday. Maybe after a number of requests by each employee, they will realize that it is in their interest in providing one.

You might also consider asking the state agency, "Louisiana Works". Their email address is: [email protected]

frani810

Payroll distribution is costly, and in my company has been brought up several times. To my knowledge, the employees will not allow the administration to inflict direct deposit on everybody. I am located in inner city Trenton (very bad area). Even inflicting mass mailing of payroll stubs and checks is an issue - should the documents end up in the wrong party's hands.

There are legalities which have potential to fall back on the employer's liability. For those who chose direct deposit and mailing list, we are provided with stubs for purposes of deductions and benefit accrual. That is the only way we are informed of our PTO benefit and sick time accruals and usage.

JETX

frani810 said:
Payroll distribution is costly, and in my company has been brought up several times. To my knowledge, the employees will not allow the administration to inflict direct deposit on everybody. I am located in inner city Trenton (very bad area). Even inflicting mass mailing of payroll stubs and checks is an issue - should the documents end up in the wrong party's hands.

There are legalities which have potential to fall back on the employer's liability. For those who chose direct deposit and mailing list, we are provided with stubs for purposes of deductions and benefit accrual. That is the only way we are informed of our PTO benefit and sick time accruals and usage.
And what LEGAL value does ANY of that have to do with this post???

L

Lightningstorm

Thanks again for the replies, even though I don't like the answers. I am emailing Louisiana Works immediately and will inform you of their answer.

Thanks
Lightningstorm

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Fran, just as an FYI; forced direct deposit is not legal in either PA or NJ: it has nothing to do with what the employees will "allow" the administration to do. And at least in NJ (I'm not 100% certain of PA) an itemized deduction is also required by law.

That is not the case in the original poster's case.

S

shockwaveudk

cbg said:
Fran, just as an FYI; forced direct deposit is not legal in either PA or NJ: it has nothing to do with what the employees will "allow" the administration to do. And at least in NJ (I'm not 100% certain of PA) an itemized deduction is also required by law.

That is not the case in the original poster's case.
Can You send me more info about that being illegal in NJ?? My company forces me to use direct deposit for my Expense reports when I travel. Any help forceing them to cut me a check would be appreciated.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
"Direct deposit of an employee's wages into the employee's account in a financial institution is permitted with the employee's consent (N.J. Rev.Stat., §34:11-4.2a). "

However, I want to bring to your attention that it MAY be that direct deposit CAN be forced for expenses. I'm not saying it definitely can, but on the basis of the above, it is only WAGES that must have employee consent.

Check with the NJ DOL.

Finally, next time open your own thread instead of "hijacking" someone else's, okay?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I don't know what his intent was. But if you are "subscribed" to the thread you will be notified whenever there is a new message attached to it, regardless of who sends it and regardless of who the new message is intended for. That's just the way the software works.

S

shockwaveudk

Thanks for the info cbg.

I didn't mean to Hyjack a thread, I am unfarmiliar with this BBS. I thought my question was very much along the same lines as the original thread question.
I usally hit reply or quote to add or ask in a thread.

Thanks Again

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">