• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this a form of sexual harassment ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wanna know

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NV

About six months ago people started bringing small speakers to work to hook up to their cell phones in order to play songs off their personal playlists. Many genres were played, however, a good deal of the time, hardcore rap and hip hop were played. The lyrics were extremely sexually explicit, naming body parts in street slang, stating what they wanted to do with these body parts, and also the usual cuss words such as the B word, F word, and N word.
I found this genre very difficult to be around, but the music was never shut off until I had to ask for it to be turned off by a manager. This was an almost everyday occurrence.
During the next store meeting, the manager brought up that songs with curse words could not be played. This left the door open, however, for the sexually explicit material to be continued. On one occasion, the General Manager herself was playing a song on her phone regarding sexual positions. I asked if she would turn it off and she said no because it had no cuss words in it. When I asked her again to turn it off because it made me feel uncomfortable and also that I thought that songs of a sexual nature did not belong in the work place, she said that she would not turn it off and for me to go ahead and call HR. Mind you, her speaker was 3 feet away from my station at face level. And two songs after the first offensive song, was one about making a sex tape, "Let's make a movie..... I'll take off my pants." The whole song was about a couple who were about to engage in the making of a sex tape.
I called and complained, and a co-worker told me that an area supervisor came in on my day off and spoke to the General Manger, but instead of a reprimand they laughed at my complaint and mocked it. I was never spoken to about my complaint, and the music proceeded to continue until I would complain, only not as often.
A couple of weeks later at the next meeting this General Manager informed everyone that this type of music was no longer allowed to be played as well, due to the fact that "even though we are all adults, some people are set in their ways." This was a remark regarding my age.
This type of music was still played off and on only not as often. But in another incidence when I complained about it, I was suddenly sent home stating it was because we were high on labor costs that day, even though the general rule is to send home whoever came first--and I had arrived last. A co-worker told me that as soon as I left the music in question was immediately put back on, which leads me to believe that I was sent home so it could be played again.
I again call our company's hotline, to which a few days later the area supervisor comes in and tells me that all three of us were wrong. The employee for playing it, the manager for allowing it, and me for when it occurred asking the employee who was training to be a manager, "And you want to be a manager?" I just thought it odd that a potential manager was breaking the rules....
This all started around 5 months ago, and just barely ended around a month ago. It took that much of my time and complaining to finally get that particular kind of music stopped, but at the expense of much harassment from several co-workers (spitting in my direction, calling be the b word, etc).

Two questions. First, is this sexual harassment ? And secondly, if it is, has too much time gone by to sue for harassment ? I definitely felt for several months there, that I had to go home, remove my brain, wash it, then place it back in my head. The lyrics were that bad. Use your imagination.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It could be a form of it, yes. However, you have indicated that it's already stopped. If so, then yes, it is too late to sue. The company's only legal obligation is to make any illegal behavior stop. If it's stopped, then you have nothing to sue for. You don't get to sue because of something that's not on-going.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">