• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Former Employer Giving Out Personal Information

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JosephB

What is the name of your state?I suspect one of my former employers is giving out personal information about me in background references. I believe part of this information is of a sexual nature. On former jobs, including my current job, I have noticed and overheard snide comments and remarks from co-workers and some supervisors. I have never met these people before working on these jobs, so them knowing sensitive information about me is suspicious. This only started occurring within the last 4 years since I relocated to another town. I would like to have this investigated. How would I go about this without letting my current and former employers know I'm doing this? I would like to get some proof of this before possibly resolving this in a court.

gryndor

I don't know if this would be actionable even if it were true, but for peace of mind you could have a buddy call up your former employer for a job reference. This way you can see if the former employer is offering some tasty tidbits of your past free of charge. :eek:

Dandy Don

Look on the web or in your phone book for reference checking services in your area. For less than $200, the companies have official court reporters on hand that can transcribe word for word exactly what the employer is saying so that you have documented proof to take with you if you decide to sue in court, or you could use that to negotiate an agreement with the employer not to do such conduct in the future and YOU can state your terms about exactly what you want them to say.

If there are none listed in the phone book, contact a local private investigator for a referral.

Beth3

Joseph, before anyone can legitimately answer your question, you need to explain what kind of personal information you believe your former employer is giving out. It also appears that you are drawing this conclusion based on nothing more than an assumption that people are talking about you now and therefore your employer of four years ago must have divulged something about you. So far, none of this makes much sense.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">