• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Former employer releasing information

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Liindsayyy

I'm not sure I'm in the right thread, but I was recently employed with Ruby Tuesday. My location was a location that was closed. We were given no notice and some, but not all, were given severance pay and we were sent on our way. Recently I received an email from a nearby restaurant saying the HR department gave them the information to come in contact with the employees that were laid off. I understand in this instance it is just an email address but I am not comfortable with my information being given out. How do I stop this? Were any laws broken?

eerelations

No laws were broken.

If you ask HR nicely to stop doing this, they will probably stop - especially since they were not doing this for hostile reasons, but for positive reasons (i.e., hoping to help you find a new job). But they are not legally obliged to stop attempting to help you in this way.

commentator

It very much depends on whether or not you're receiving unemployment insurance.

Though your worksite has closed, the company as a whole is on the hook for your unemployment insurance. They'd like very much to get you back to work as soon as possible.

When a business closes, in the same general area there may be some other employers who are interested in hiring the former employees of the closed place. It is common for them to request a list of those employees and contact information from the parent company, or sometimes they do it through the re-employment services division of the state's department of labor.

If you are drawing unemployment benefits, this is even encouraged, like a community service to get you folks from the closure back to work. And do not be surprised if you are contacted and you refuse the job interview, they report this to the unemployment insurance division. You might find yourself being summoned to answer an inquiry about whether or not you have refused suitable work.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">