• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Former job pay medical bills?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kenty

What is the name of your state? PA
I used to work at a major grocery chain here. I'm not sure what to do with what happened. I need to know what to do with this situation. Back in December of last year I had multiple asthma attacks at work. I had asked my manager almost every time I had one if I could go get my inhaler that I was told to keep in my locker. She had denied my requests. She told me that we were too busy for me to go get it yet we were dead and had at least 10 lanes open. One particular day-I had a severe allergic reaction to a customer's sweater which set off my asthma really bad. I had asked her when I realized it wasn't getting any better but it was getting worse if I could go get my inhaler. She told me no. About half hour later, my co-ordinator pulled me off the register as she was called up to a meeting. At that time-I was getting really red in the face and very dizzy. He ran upstairs and got my inhaler for me. He kept checking on me every 20 minutes. After two and a half hours-the inhaler wasn't helping. They called our alternate floor manager who wasn't in the meeting. He came down and asked me to walk to the office. I had tried but was so dizzy that I couldn't walk from the lack of oxygen. So he had me sit on a bench in front of this room we had for shopper's children to play in while they shopped. By that time, an off duty paramedic came over after seeing me nearly collapse and asked what was going on. He checked my pulse and watched me for a minute. He told me that I needed to go to the hospital. I told him no that I can't go because I don't have insurance nor can afford it. My floor supervisor insisted that I talk to them at least so I did. The paramedics were already there shopping for something to eat. They thought it was a prank by their friend who informed them of an emergency where they were. They came up and saw that it was really an emergency. They checked me out and checked my oxygen levels. They said that they were really low and I need to go in to the emergency room. I had explained that I can't because I can't afford it nor have insurance. They forced me to go. They put me in the ambulance and started treating me right then and there. All in all, I was in the emergency room being treated for my asthma attack for nearly 10 hours. The doctors as well as the paramedics said it would never have gotten that bad if I had gotten my inhaler when it first started. I was put on light duty for two weeks. I was told by my manager that since I was on light duty-I'm not allowed to work. I came back to work two weeks later. Things were worse there than before my two week leave. Again-I had another attack at work and once again I was denied my inhaler. I again wound up in the emergency room that night after work because of my asthma attack. I was told again that it never would have gotten that bad if I had used my inhaler when it first started. I had talked with my union rep about filing a grievance against my manager for denial of me obtaining my inhaler when I really needed it but was told that I don't have grounds for it. Now-nearly a year later-I have three medical bills from my asthma attacks at work that I can't pay. I had applied for state assistance in paying these bills but because I'm single, no dependants and made about $550 a month I was denied. I think that because I was denied my inhaler when I needed it by my manager-my former employer should pay the bills but they disagree. Now I'm being harrassed by creditors because with my new job-I still can't pay them. I'm making about the same with my new job as I did with my old one. What should I do?

Beth3

If I had severe asthma and thought I might be having a life-threatening attack, there's simply NO WAY I would not go to get my inhaler no matter what. I don't understand the decision you made not to do so on both occasions, regardless of anything your supervisor may have said.

In any event, just because something happens as work does not mean work caused it or is responsible for it. (ex: an employee who happens to be at work when he has a heart attack.) I don't see how your employer is responsible for the bills. I don't understand your supervisor's lack of consideration for your medical problem but on the other hand, nobody physically restrained you from going to retrieve your inhaler. You could have gone to get it on either occasion.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Why was your inhaler in your locker in the first place? Mine's in my pocket.

K

kenty

She (my manager) was negligent in working with a medical condition that springs up at times-often without warning. She was negligent in following the EEA by not allowing me access to it when I needed it or allowing me to keep it on me at all times. She knew in both cases I was struggling to breath and she could see it too. Yet she failed to allow me to do something about it If she permitted me access to my inhaler at all times-I never wouldn't have wound up in the emergency room. I believe that she discriminated against my health condition. I also feel she didn't work with me in keeping myself safe on the job because when I do have an attack-I go down fast without my inhaler. If I use my inhaler when it first subsides 9 out of 10 times it goes away after the second dosage. She also knew that I take anti-histamines with the attacks when they occur because of an allergic reaction. My point is: because she denied me access to my inhaler as well as jeopardizing my life because of the fact that I do go down fast with asthma attacks and lack of obtaining my inhalers-they should pay for it. If she allowed me access to my inhaler and medicine-then I'd agree that they shouldn't.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And you didn't answer my question. My inhaler fits nicely in my pocket. Why are THEY negligent because YOU didn't keep your inhaler on your person?

Beth3

And please explain how your manager PHYSICALLY RESTRAINED you from obtaining your inhaler when you needed it. On two occasions, YOU opted to end up in the emergency room by not acting like a responsible adult and going to get the medication you needed.

Your manager was not very considerate but she was not negligent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">