• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this fraudulent activity?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mandie_sue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Work at a mail insertion company. When the counts didn't match was told to make it balance.
This is bothering me ethically. It feels like the wrong thing to do. When I pressed the issue. Was sited for defamation of character and received written warning.
Is this really legal?

PaulMass

If this is a publicly held company, and you "pressed the issue" by contacting law enforcement regarding the improper reporting, then they may have violated the The Sarbanes–Oxley Act of 2002 by retaliating.

There are probably other ways this could be illegal.

You may want to consult with an attorney.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Sounds more to me like she was stuffing envelopes and the count of the materials being stuffed was off.

commentator

I cannot see any possible reason why this person should do anything but look for another job if she doesn't like what's going on at this one.

Mandie_sue

Thank you all for your advice. I'll just hope my company doesn't get caught. The hipaa violations of mixed medical info. Could be a problem.
I don't need a different job. Just wanted to be sure I was doing the right thing.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
What are you talking about? WHAT HIPAA violations? What mixed medical info? How does that have anything to do with a material count being off?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Sounds like a written warning was not only legal, but warranted, if you're sending PII to the wrong place.

Mandie_sue

Nevermind. I don't care I got written up. I'm worried about the pii incident. That I was made to change the paperwork.

Thanks anyway. I guess you would be okay if someone received your pii information.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The fact that I am unable to create a law that says what you want it to say is not evidence of my approval of the situation.

Mandie_sue

I appreciate the advice. Just making sure I can't be held responsible for the release of pii info.
At least I have the written warning as proof if audited or comes back on me.
I just thought it wasn't legal to knowingly release someone's pii info.
I mean I had to take classes about hipaa and pii through the same company making me do this

Take care and thanks again.
I feel better knowing it is legal.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
I appreciate the advice. Just making sure I can't be held responsible for the release of pii info.
At least I have the written warning as proof if audited or comes back on me.
I just thought it wasn't legal to knowingly release someone's pii info.
I mean I had to take classes about hipaa and pii through the same company making me do this

Take care and thanks again.
I feel better knowing it is legal.
Not sure if you're being purposely obtuse or if you really don't understand, so let me break this down for you:

Releasing PII = HIPAA violation
Writing you up for bringing it to their attention = perfectly legal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">