• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

frequent paycheck errors

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

Hardworker

i've been working for an airport security company for nearly 6 months. it seems to be the norm and acceptable by some of my previously hired co-workers that the hours are never calculated accurately.

would i be wasting my time if i complained to a gov. entitiy? in all fairness, the company "eventually" corrects the errors, but it is an enormous inconvenience for me and others who are low on the totem pole.

is d.o.l.'s local hours and wage division our only recourse? and if so, what "generally" would be the outcome? a slap on the wrist?

the firm's attitude is, "quit if you don't like it!"--- seems rather bold to me.

pls. advise, sincerely,
hardworker

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Although I'm not prepared to say that the DOL is your only recourse, at this point it is your first, best resource. For one thing, it's free. For another thing, there's no guarantee that a lawyer would be willing to pick up the case at this point, particularly since the company makes good eventually.

Anyone can make a mistake once or twice. However, if this is a constant thing I would definitely call the DOL wage and hour. I don't know whether it will be a slap on the wrist or a harder response - a lot will depend on how bad the problem is and if there are any remotely justifiable reasons for them (payroll service issues, software flaws still being worked on). But it's not fair to the employees and depending on the severity of the problem and whether it's willful or not, might be illegal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">