• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

gender bias

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

c130redhd

What is the name of your state? Geogia

A consulting firm and has ten employees. These employees travel on consulting jobs in seven states. The company has an employment record of hiring only white males.

Is this in violation of Title VII?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Technically, yes. However, since the company has less than 15 employees, they do not fall under Title VII and no action would be taken if a complaint were filed.

It is possible that the state of Georgia has a lower limit - in other words, the state may require that a company only have six employees, or eight, or ten, before discrimination laws apply. If that is the case, and ten employees was within the state limit, then a complaint could be filed at the state level instead of with the EEOC.

Beth3

Without knowing what the applicant pool is and what the job requirements are, I'm not sure we can say it's a violation of Title VII. If the company rejects qualfied candidates BECAUSE of their race or gender, then that is obviously prohibited discrimination but if the only qualfied candidates to date have happened to be white males, then that's just the way the cookie crumbles. There are still some career fields where female, African American, and other minority candidates are rare.

Of course as cbg points out, at this size the company is exempt from federal anti-discrimination laws.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Okay, I suppose I should have qualified it. However, it's rare these days to find a field where ALL of the qualified applicants are going to be white males. I suppose it's remotely possible that the area of the country might affect it.

However, it's a moot point since they have less than the requisite 15 employees anyway.

Beth3

Actually, it's not all that uncommon in manufacturing. I'd love to hire an experienced female/minority Mfg. Engineer, Process Engineer, Plant Manager, Operations Manager, etc. They're still hard to find and if they're really good, it appears their current employers make sure they don't lose them.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Well, it's been a heck of a long time since I worked in manufacturing, so I'll take your word for it. Will you settle for, it's quite possibly a violation?

D

dobiegal

underemployed

I'm living proof that a well-qualified, highly recommended female (caucasian) will end up in the typing pool here in Houston before any of the local manufacturers will give me a second glance. I have no doubt that it's gender related, because I'm contacted for various supply chain positions (resume posted as "confidential" on the job sites) and as soon as they receive the soft copy (name shown), the position is suddenly filled or my qualifications aren't exactly what they're looking for (same experience as posted online!) or there's no response. I've been without a permanent job for 2 years now.

If an employer is forced to hire a "minority" person to stay out of trouble, it would most likely be as the receptionist or janitor!

Just my currently biased opinion!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">