• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

gender discrimination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

etalley

What is the name of your state? tn
i recently applied for a position and when i went in to apply one of the supervisors(whom i know a little)told me that he didnt think they were hiring women at the time because the ones they have now arent doing so good. my husband heard him say this as well. i got a letter the next week stating they had nothing open for me at this time. this is a large company and they have several women employees and have interviewed several since my application but i did not even receive an interview. my husband previously worked there and this man was his supervisor. when my husband's brother applied there, the same man interviewed him and he didnt receive a job either even though they hired many other people at that time.is this discrimination in any way???

p.s. he is the one who told me to come in and apply and he also made a remark about how i was dressed when i arrived.:mad::(

there has been one other women hired but for the office. i applied for the plant and several men have been hired for those positions and there is no experience or training nessessary for this job.

Last edited:

mitousmom

Has the company hired anyone for the position you sought? If not, and the company has interviewed women for the position you sought, it's going to be hard to argue that they didn't interview you because of your sex.

If the company does select a man for the job, then you can consider contacting EEOC. However, I think contact now would be premature.

Beth3

one of the supervisors(whom i know a little)told me that he didnt think they were hiring women at the time because the ones they have now arent doing so good. What an incredibly stupid thing to say. :rolleyes:

this is a large company and they have several women employees and have interviewed several since my application but i did not even receive an interview. Employers have no obligation to interview everyone who applies.

when my husband's brother applied there, the same man interviewed him and he didnt receive a job either even though they hired many other people at that time Nor do they have to hire everyone they interview.

Since you were invited to apply (and the supervisor obviously knew you were female), they've interviewed other female candidates, have rejected both male and female candidates, and have female employees, I'm not seeing any overt evidence of discrimination, particularly since we know nothing about your experience, skills, background, etc., what type of experience, skills, education, and so on are needed to work for this organization and what jobs they actually have open.

Hiring is not done on a "first applied - first hired" basis. Candidates are hired based on their fit for the available positions at any given time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">